Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:01:05 PM]

[Today at 06:30:57 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

[Today at 05:19:42 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hydrus 3l tempest pants for perch wading?  (Read 696 times)

jmute62

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I recently got myself a pair of those dry pants. I originally intended to use them off the kayak, but i thought about it and it seems like i would be able to double them as waders for perch fishing.. The only thing is that the bootie sox attached to them are very thin.. My question to the brotherhood is..

Does anybody have these and use them for perch fishing?.. Do you know of any water shoes of sorts that would fit over the sox that would be good for walking in?

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I have a pair of Tempest pants, and think they're great.  But the socks are definitely not intended for walking or wading when unprotected.  They're designed to go inside a pair of wet suit booties or wading boots. For kayaking, wet suit booties or sandals would protect the bottoms of the socks fine.  For wade fishing, you will probably want footgear which protects the sole of your foot better than wet suit booties.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I have a pair of Tempest pants, and think they're great.  But the socks are definitely not intended for walking or wading when unprotected.  They're designed to go inside a pair of wet suit booties or wading boots. For kayaking, wet suit booties or sandals would protect the bottoms of the socks fine.  For wade fishing, you will probably want footgear which protects the sole of your foot better than wet suit booties.

For years I've worn wet suit booties for yaking, always banged up the soles of my feet,,,,,,,until i put a set of SuperFeet inserts in.  They are hard plastic and man what a difference.  If it's the same booties you use for diving just take the inserts out.

Super feet are kinda expensive but there are other hard plastic inserts that work the same and are cheaper.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I wear my Tempest pants for surf fishing when I don't feel like wearing waders. They're more comfortable when it's sunny or hot. Same thing for wading rivers. But definitely get some shoes to wear...can get cheap wading boots for like $50.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

snakecharmer

• Salmon
  • Happy to join any fishy adventures!
  • View Profile
I got a pair of these because, ounce for ounce, they are easily the lightest weight  wading solution you can find, when paired with lightweight paddling shoes.  I intend to use them for back-country fly-fishing.

And as a bonus, you can use them kayaking!
Fish laugh when I paddle by.  Sometimes they laugh so hard they fall on my hook.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
If you are cheap, just buy some tennis shoes at a discount store, maybe $10 or so.  Bring the pants so you find the size that fits with them. 

If you are REALLY cheap, buy some shoes at the thrift stores, usually a buck for used. 

jmute62

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I think ill go ahead and get some booties with soles[emoji108]🏽 thanks everybody!

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Try to make sure the booties do a good job of keeping sand out. You don't want to be grinding sand between your dry socks and booties each time you take a step. That'll wear out your sock fabric.

jmute62

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Try to make sure the booties do a good job of keeping sand out. You don't want to be grinding sand between your dry socks and booties each time you take a step. That'll wear out your sock fabric.

jmute62

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Good point didnt think about that^

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Same thing with cheap shoes they will wear out the feet of your pants, better off buying a pair of cheap waders and save the tempest for Kayaking.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Tinker

I already had a pair of Muck Boots and combined them with the Tempest pants and that works.  The neoprene tops of the boots are darn near waterproof against the nylon of the pants and I haven't seen sand and grit get in yet.

The pants were surplus for me or I wouldn't have used them.

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
This video has a good comparison of NRS's offerings in the "booties with soles" department. I got the Workboot wetshoes:

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I went perch fishing yesterday at pismo and wore my hydrus 3l tempest pants with nrs bootie, it perform awesome. I wasn't cold and was very comfortable. Also if a wave comes up, the seal around the waist did its job. When water gets up to waist area, since air is trapped in the pants, it gave me a little lift.

:smt001

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I use Kokotat Portage booties.  Heavy duty sole and comfy.  Wading boots give more accurate support to sides of foot and ankles of course.  Don't wade over the waist!

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

anything