Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:45:35 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Long overdue introduction  (Read 3250 times)

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
As I sit here at our rental in San Carlos waiting for a garage door guy to come fix our garage door so our minivan can fit into the garage, I thought I should introduce myself as we are now officially "Nor Cal".  We had been living in San Diego for the last nine years and I called the La Jolla kelp beds my home away from home.  My wife and I have two daughters ages 3 and 5. 

I've been on this website pretty much from the beginning when a few Norcal guys who were regular contributors to a Socal kayakfishing site decided to start this site.  But I don't remembering contributing much as my fishing and diving was strictly Socal.  I've met a few guys here through dive buddies and would like to meet more.  This is by far the best online community (of any kind)...or maybe I'm just not privy to the disfunction.  :smt003

Anyways, my then girlfriend now wife, bought our first kayaks used from a kayak company in Tomales Bay or Pt. Reyes.  We chose the Necky Dolphins with the aluminum rudders because we felt they were the most responsive and the shape of the nose lent itself to surf better.  This was back in the late 90's and the only kayak fishing site at the time was Spike's.  I remember meeting up with 4 or 5 guys at HMB and we fished the breakwalls.  There were so few of us that I don't think we had another meeting. 

I've since owned about a dozen different kayaks, but now I primarily dive out of a little zodiac.  I still own a Scupper Pro and my daughter has a pink Mini-X. 

Even though La Jolla is pretty magical for the "exotic" species, I still believe that the beauty found on the North coast on a clear day is hard to beat. 

Anyways, once we get settled I hope to make it to one of NCKA's epic get togethers and meet you all.

Nate

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome!  I've seen you around, but it's nice to get the detailed intro.   :smt001

The Madness is strong in this one...   :smt004
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome, Nate. The next club event is at Albion on July 31, where the abalone season there opens on August 1. I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to meet up with other divers. San Carlos is a nice community...you're not that far away from Aquan Kayaks, REI, and West Marine too for kayak/fishing related stuff. I often visit friends on Eucalyptus Avenue, the street with all the holiday lights.

Howard

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Hi Nate, welcome-though you've been here for a while.

I recognize the handle from way back.

Yeah, remember when Spike's site was the only one? Crazy how the activity has snowballed.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Lets dive! :smt006,,We will be chasing halis this Sun @MBK in Monterey. :smt006
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks everyone!

Howard, I was trying to make Albion but I've got a little problem with my foot and probably won't be able to get in the water for a few weeks. 

Nate

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Nate - nice to see you finally made the move! See you on the water!

note: Nate is one hell of a spearo....Fuzz is gonna get some serious competition :smt002

fuzz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005

note: Nate is one hell of a spearo....Fuzz is gonna get some serious competition :smt002

Indeed.  Nate is twice the spearo I am!   :fat

JK, welcome back to the Bay Area buddy.   :smt001

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Hey Joel,

Thanks.  I tried to get up in time to do the Santa Cruz shin dig, but we had to delay our road trip by a day.  I took the kids to the beach on the day of our move to let them have a final day on the beach and I got stung by a stingray.  It got me good.  I won't be getting in the water anytime soon.

I'm no where near the spearo Fuzzy is.  Yes, I may be twice the man, but only half the diver. 

You know, with as many new divers as there are on NCKA, Fuzz really needs to do a clinic and show us the ropes.  That is one lazy mod. 

Nate

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
You know, with as many new divers as there are on NCKA, Fuzz really needs to do a clinic and show us the ropes.  That is one lazy mod. 

I totally agree....we'll just fire him and hire you :smt002 But seriously, I was thinking that maybe you guys can do a spearo seminar with the guy from Sea Sniper at his shop in San Carlos. It would be great for the newbies AND even better for the Sea Sniper business.....wachu think?

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Ya, I was reading the thread title and was thinking - Huh? Intro? This guy has been on the board for a long time!

Welcome to Nor-Cal, Nate.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I totally agree....we'll just fire him and hire you :smt002 But seriously, I was thinking that maybe you guys can do a spearo seminar with the guy from Sea Sniper at his shop in San Carlos. It would be great for the newbies AND even better for the Sea Sniper business.....wachu think?

I'm in no way qualified to give seminars.  But the shop isn't conducive for them anyways.  It's literally a work shop. 

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Welcome to the Real_NCKA now......forREAL_!  :smt002  if you still fish from your Yak? i'll be seeing you around
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

anything