Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:08:36 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GWS at Fort Ross  (Read 8117 times)

jerky

Jerky, enough with the idiot calling.

Who you callin Jerky?

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Jerky... you might consider dropping the "y" from your name and just call a spade a spade.
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

jerky's trollin and he's gettin some hits!  :smt005.  usually best to ignore the troller.

hey john f. chen, p-spark posted an analysis that shows that diving is more dangerous than diving, even if
you only include the shark attack part of it.  it's towards the end of the GWS thread. check it out.

If I was a diver, I'd tell myself that the shark danger part of it was small compared to other possible accidents,
but it might be the case that you are blissfully ignorant of the dangers. maybe best to keep it that way
and not read p-spark's re-posted diver analysis of attack risk.
john m. airey

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
They also felt that the odds of seeing a shark (as a diver) were comparable with the odds of being bitten by one.  I kind of doubt that, but I do put stock in their assertion that hour/hour, diving is more dangerous than driving.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
well shoot then!

i guess i will have to spend more time driving than diving from now on!

wait, lucky for me i have a terrible commute and long drives just to get to the water!

who knows what life has in store for anyone. i guess in the grand scheme of all things wonderful in life someone could theoretically jump in for the first time into the ocean and see a shark and the guy just behind him making his 5000th dive totally miss it.

i guess only a higher power would know when and how.

i'd rather see great white seabass.... :smt007

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

one thing is true is that the math of probability does not include history.

a lot of people think that if you flip a coin 99 times and get heads each time
that you are  more likely to get tails on the next one, but you aren't, it's still a 50% chance
for that next throw. the coin does not remember what it did the last 99 times.
it only knows it has a 50% chance on each throw (fair coin).

this thinking applies to GWS attacks or helicopter skiing accidents,
and other situations where the risk is small but the event is catastrophic.
also true for situations where the reward is high like sturgeon fishing.

If you take that risk again and again and again, chances are good you will suffer. But if you
get through a whole pile of risk events, it's not like you have worse odds going forward, your
odds are the same as everybody else for each trip.

So everytime I make it home alive from something, I'm sure to crack a beer because I lowered
my total odds against for that event happening in my life.

So seeing a GWS once does not protect you from further incidents. Likewise, not seeing one
does not make it more likely you will see one in the future. All that matters is how many more
times you plan to take the risk.

Best,

J

john m. airey

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey, I was just scanning some photos and realized I've got a (non MBA) shark sighting under my belt too.  This one was only 8ft though...

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

srm

They also felt that the odds of seeing a shark (as a diver) were comparable with the odds of being bitten by one.  I kind of doubt that, but I do put stock in their assertion that hour/hour, diving is more dangerous than driving.

Per capita drivers vs. Per capita divers...diving is more dangerous, I'd wager

but I do quote the driving to the beach is more dangerous to my wife. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:13:00 PM by srm »

luk diver

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
We've been diving the last several years with a electronic "Shark Shield' by 'seachange technology'. The free-diver and scuba units both go for like $500? :smt013 Dove the Farallons 2x last yr. for scallops and as long as you wear the unit by the instructions you don't get shocked. However the instructions state you shouldn't wear one if you have a pace-maker. The first time you get bit :smt010 by the unit you'll know why. We basically wear the unit whenever and where ever were diving here in Northern Cal. The latest shark book (Shark attacks in the North Pacific?) is a real eye opener on how many attacks there have been here in Cal and never mind the sightings. BTW my twin brother lives in Pacifica and will be fishing/diving from a paddle-board there this summer and hopes to see you guys. We built a 24' ply/epoxy Alaska skiff several yrs. ago and give us a shout when you see us on the water, boat names 'Golden Ones'. Bob

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Cool. Any pics of the boat?

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
The one thing that I will change because of this incident is,..... I will increase my time on the kayak.  This is a good thing.  I put in for the big fish/ab pool and now I will probably always be on my kayak.  This increases my odds of winning.  If it wasn't for this I would probably still shore dive more because it is often easier and quicker.  If the washrock hadn't been there it would have been much worse.  If I had a kayak, at least I could have climbed out on it and paddled away.  Just seems like a good idea for a lot of reasons.
Dave

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Mooch, that was on the spot you fished with Alan Tani

Paul, where did you launch and land? I've been looking around for a place to launch in that area but had no luck. Did you launch North or South of the point?

luk diver

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Yes posted on our diving at Dux. This was probably in reference to diving one of those pinnacle rocks on the inside of Dux where alot of people lose tackle. Conditions were shitty and very little tackle. Just too much area for the gear to spread around in so not exactly like there's a honey-spot waiting for someone IMO. :smt003. Thanks Bob

hey lukdiver

Was that you who was diving Dux Reef this past season? I remember reading some dive posts on coastside and giving somebody the heads up about the gw action heating up there. I was thinking man this guy's got moxy but then it seemed like he just hadn't been aware what was going on

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to dive that spot In fact if I was diving at all these days I'd be wearing something crunchproof

I met a guy who took a ride in a gws mouth out at the Farallons, he had some nice rows of scars to to show for it

anything