Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Gear Tracks from Yak Attack  (Read 3629 times)

sfbayyak

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone is using or has had any experience with the gear tracks from the Yak Attack company. I saw them on Hook 1 and am thinking about using them on my Revo.
Any opinion / advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Talk to paddleboy84 he sells and installs them at his shop.He can set you up with the whole setup Scotty adapters and all  :smt006

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I was considering them for rigging my AI for rod holders and FF.  I started putting the cost together for all the parts needed.  Its got pretty pricey :smt005.  I went with scotty flush mounts and ram ball mounts.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I purchased and used the 8" model to mount a FF over the side with a Liberator platform. The screws that come with them have a larger bite on the threads so they will grip plastic better and are nice. The rail is high quality with no burrs and nice rounded/tapered edges. Im happy.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I wonder if a section on an AI would allow the FF to slide fwd and back? How wide is the track?
-Eric Berg

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Install them on almost a daily basis. We do offer 10% for NCKA guys an help with the install. It is top notch quality for sure.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
I put them on my kayak, I got the 4" tracks and have them near the tank well. They are more expensive then other options, but the quality is the best.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Eric, they are about 1 3/4" wide or a little less
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:07:44 AM by MikeinFresno »

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Eric, they are about 2" wide or a little less

They also have the new gt90 which is about a half in wide and can be used with a backer plate for a really stiff install. www.yakattack.us/Products/Products.html
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I opt'd not to go with the track system becuase:

1.) The Revo was not initially designed for use with the track system and the tracks would be elevated higher than the kayak rail; which would make loading/unloading the kayak when upside down cumbersome.

2.) The stress point for he rod holder would be reduced to the one fastening point between the track mounting point and the base of the rod holder; with a Scotty flush mount the stress is distributed across 4 mounting points.

3.) And MOST important, they did not have it out when I installed my Scotty Flush Mounts  :smt044
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I put them on my kayak, I got the 4" tracks and have them near the tank well. They are more expensive then other options, but the quality is the best.

Do they have a longer section? And do the 1" RAM ball attachment?
-Eric Berg

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I agree with GWhiz and I am being specific to a Revo or AI which have a pretty similar deck layout.  At first I thought was a good idea to have the track system and have the ability to put 2 devices (FF and rod holder) next to each other. 
After serious consideration I decided it was not a good idea after all.  I found out if I placed 2 devices next to each other one would just get in way.  If put the FF in front of the rod holder, it would be pain to get my rod and may have the chance of accidentally hitting the FF.  If I did it vice versa, rod holder behind the FF.  My view of the screen would be blocked and operating the unit is difficult. 
As Glen stated the Scotty flush offers a more secure connection on the kayak with 4 screws and its plastic construction provides more flex / give when put under stress.  Another factor I considered was the cost of buying all the parts needed just to set a rod holder system.  I am not cheap and go with the best solution for my needs.  The Scotty system came out as the winner.
Again I am being specific to a Revo and AI. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:33:41 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

sfbayyak

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
The advantage for using the tracks, that I can see, are 1) that you are drilling small screw holes versus a large 1" hole for the flush mounts. The smaller screw hole will make it easier to fill in later should you decide to remove the system. 2) You can move gear around
The disadvantages, for me, are 1) the tracks rise above the the rail of the boat. One more thing to climb over / avoid in a re -entry.One more thing on the boat to tangle my line etc... 2) I'm also wondering if the tracks would get caught up on my rack as I haul my Revo upside down. 3) expensive. I started adding up my parts and accessories and it was more than I am willing to spend. 4) How often do I really need to move my rod holder / fish finder? Installed a rod holder and fishfinder on my outback and never felt the need to move them once installed. Measure twice/ cut once.

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

I just riged my new extreme and I decided to use the tracks myself I find them to be a little bit wobbly other than that I like them a lot I think they will be fine :)
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011

Do they have a longer section? And do the 1" RAM ball attachment?

Yes they come in 4", 8", 12"and 16". The 1" Ram ball will fit on it.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

anything