Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Accurate Tern  (Read 2375 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
If anyone is using this reel just wondering how you like it. I have never fished for salmon on a kayak and trying to get rigged up. https://www.accuratefishing.com/tern/

I had settled on an Avet SX but after seeing it I prefer a star drag. I was also considering a Shimano Tekota A but I would prefer to buy a US made reel. The Shimano is nice though...

Thanks!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Lever drag makes it waay easier to deploy a salmon trolling rig, especially from a paddle yak. Just saying.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hmmm...  I have always used star drag reels. I was at the tackle store and the guy asked if I have ever used a lever drag, he showed me where you adjust the drag but didn't explain exactly how it worked. I just saw that small knurled nob and said forget that!

I just watched a video from Charkbiat, that explained a few things. I am open to using a new style reel. It just seems setting the drag initially is the big question mark.

Do you guys use a spring scale to preset the drag?

I was going to use 30# braid so I guess you set it to 8 or 10#?

I'm fishing out of a T-13 and have never trolled out of it so I have a lot of learning to do. Outdoor Pro set me up with Pyramid flasher attached directly to an AFW #3 planer with an Apex lure trailing. Seems like a good setup but I'm new to trolling out of a yak.

Sin Coast, thanks for mentioning that. I may just go with the Avet?? 

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Learn the lever drag.  #1 is, the little knob sets overall drag.  You have to back off the lever completely before using the knurled knob...That's important. But once you ahve that set you have instant full drag to freespool.  There are a couple fish I've caught that I wouldn't have had a chance without a lever drag reel.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Well you guys settled it for me. I'm going for an Avet SX. The lever drag seems like a good way to go and something new to play with. Off to Outdoor Pro next week...

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Accurate Tern 400 is a phenomenal salmon reel, vastly superior to a  puny Avet SX. Max drag of #31 vs #14 for one, why are you guys afraid to try something new?
 -Amos
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:48:13 AM by SuperVato »
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

Baron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I have an avet sx and the new shimano tekota 500.

I’ve been using the avet for the past few seasons and I haven’t needed to break it down and clean it yet! It’s a workhorse but I got the 1st generation and wish I went with the second for the minor drag adjustment.

I opted for the tekota with line counter as my salmon reel this season. I wanted to switch to a star drag and level wind as I’ve hooked some fish recently where the lever drag was either too tight/loose and wasn’t able to get the desired drag setup. I also wanted to try the level wind as it was one less thing to do while reeling in a big fish on a kayak. I’ll report back at the end of the season with my results!

By the way I completely tore down and cleaned the tekota last night after my surf wipeout. The internals all look solid but there was salt/sand everywhere. I haven’t opened up the avet yet to compare.

Whatever you choose will work just fine! Get out there and get some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work is for people who don't know how to fish

JZumi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
It's just salmon so any and all of these reels would far more than adequate.

There may be other considerations.  Do you do your own reel maintenance?  Do you want a reel that is less prone to salt water incursion right out of the box?  Or will you grease bearings when the reel is brand new?  Are you comfortable risking expensive equipment to loss or does your frugality say stick with the inexpensive gear just in case it goes bye-bye?  Will your gear be used for other fishing, like rockfish?  Some reel designs are great right out of the box but may have issues later such as worn dogs or corroded antireverse bearings.

You might want to investigate these things to help you make your selection.  Seems like a lot of opinions tend to center on how a reel performs during fishing.  All of these reels do well for salmon, the real differences are in the other things.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Accurate Tern 400 is a phenomenal salmon reel, vastly superior to a  puny Avet SX. Max drag of #31 vs #14 for one, why are you guys afraid to try something new?
 -Amos

When's the last time you used even 14# of drag on a salmon?

-Allen

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Right when I had my selection figured out!  :smt044

I would say the Tern is superior to most others because of the drag and the material used for the gears etc. I think I will still go with the Avet so I can check out the lever drag.

I'm close to 60 now and hopefully I will still be kayak fishing in 10 years, it actually pushes me to keep in shape because the ocean is unforgiving. So if I don't buy a nice reel and rod now I never will. I fish with an Okuma low profile line coutner with a Trevela for rockfish and really like that setup. So this is strictly a salmon reel. I always leash everything and have never lost a rod yet.

I don't mind working on my own equipment, I actually enjoy it...self satisfaction.

Do Avets require extra maintenance? I guess I'll find out. I saw a YouTube video about breaking one down but haven't watched it yet.

I'll do a search in the forum and see what I should do right out of the box and regular maintenance on an Avet.

Thanks for the input!

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
uhhhhhhh, barbless hooks, salmon, and a kayak?? You don't need more than a couple pounds of drag.  Do not set it to 8 or 10#. That's waaaay too much!!!! You're going to reel up a hot fish to your kayak and lose it! Been there done that plenty of times. Light drag and tire out the fish.

I would not say 14# of drag is puny.  I don't know when you would ever need 14# of drag or 31# of drag up here.  Not for any fish around here!

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Oh, to answer your original question, yes Accurate Tern is way overkill for salmon. 

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I would recommend one of these for drag free troubles. Plus. The sensitivity of the human thumb with neural connections to brain will far out perform the most delicate adjustments on modern reels.
Charles

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Do Avets require extra maintenance?

Yes.  You can let them go for a bit, and they'll still work, but a freshly serviced Avet is a thing of beauty.

-Allen

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
 -Amos

When's the last time you used even 14# of drag on a salmon?

-Allen
First things first, you have tried a Tern 400? Or are you recommending against it never having even held one?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:32:41 PM by SuperVato »
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

anything