Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:31:56 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: kayak sticking out truck bed?  (Read 15121 times)

Paul707

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
this is probably a common question, didnt get any real clear answrs on my google search.. I hear people put 18' kayaks in 6' truck beds with a some type of bed extension.. So how far leagally can it stick out??

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There is some kind of hitch-extension that looks like it may be worthwhile. 

I ran my 14'4" X-Factor out the bed for four years before CHP finally pulled me over and stated that he thought that 4' past the bumper is prohibited - flag or not.  The key here is THOUGHT - he didn't know for sure...  That was the same story with a retired CHP captain who's my in-law's neighbor up in Tahoe - he "thought" something like that too.  After getting pulled over on it (no ticket) I got a rack.

:smt001

PS:  It also messed with my yak to be hauling it with lots of weight on a cantilever - best to stick with a rack.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I use the goal post mount all the time. Never an issue. 13 foot boat 6 foot bed (8 ft with tailgate down). less then 1/2 the boat is sicking out.

looks like lights or a flag will work.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24604.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Extend-A-Truck-944-Truck-Bed-Extender/dp/B00008BKX5/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341856280&sr=1-1
-Eric Berg

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Harbor Freight Tools has one for about $55. In-store only according to their website. If anyone at the store says they don't carry it, have them check their website. Their in-store part numbers and online part numbers don't jive. That's what happened to me.

Paul707

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Hojoman--

Can you post the P/N's?  Thanks!

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Your load is not allowed to extend from your last point of support more than 2/3rds of your wheel base:

35410.  The load upon any motor vehicle alone or an independent load
only upon a trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear
beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that
equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase of the vehicle
carrying such load, except that the wheelbase of a semitrailer shall
be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing
vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.

A hitch extender counts as a support, so would be required due to your boat length.  Just make sure you have your flag during the day, and two red lights at night.  I have seen some folks put a set of brake lights on their hitch extender and have it positioned very near to the rear most projected portion of the load.  This complies with the spirit of the law and is normally accepted.  You can also plug into your lighting harness and hang some lights off the back of the kayak, a couple side bungees can keep the lights from spinning.

The four feet extension from the taillights only applies to the flag/light requirement on the load, your load is allowed to project farther.  A load is not allowed to extend more than 3 feet from the front of the vehicle.  This may have been what the officers you spoke to were thinking off.  If you look at the current 2012 vehicle code, it is about impossible to know all the junk, I mean laws in there, LOL  :smt001

Hope this helps.

Matt

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Hojoman--

Can you post the P/N's?  Thanks!
Here's the link. The employee was probably referring to the item number.
http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-45830.html

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So Matt just to be clear, I use a 4' extender and my kayak goes past about 6" from that. Do I still need a flag during the day, and lights at night, and if so can the lights
be attached to the extender, or do they have to be on the yak. I thought with the orange kayak that would be enough.
Thanks,
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Hi Jeff,

Yes, you still need a flag or extender if the load projects more than 4 ft from the rear of your vehicle.  The 4 ft measurement starts from your taillights.  The extender counts as a support or vehicle extension, but the load is still an extended load.  The lights or flag need to be placed on the rear most projection of the load or extension of the vehicle.  If you place lights/flag on the extender which would be an extension of your vehicle, and your kayak only extends 6" past that you would be legal.  I see a lot of folks place the magnetic lights on the hitch extender at night, and then a flag on the end of the kayak during daylight.  I think that is perfectly adequate.  Now if your load extends another 3-4 feet past the hitch extender, then the rear most projection of the load would be more reasonable for the flag/lights.

The reason is more apparent at night.  You see the brake lights ahead but most people don't realize they need to increase their stopping distance due to the load length.  People have a lot of trouble judging distance without visual reference, this is most common at night due to the reduction of those references.  Two lights are required in case one goes out.  During the day, the flag requirement is more of a shotgun approach to cover all extended loads if they are easy to see or not.  It is mainly for the low visible load, but removes any guess work.

It is not a bad idea to carry a copy of the laws in your glove box.  Most officers are professional enough to admit when they don't know something for sure or made a mistake.

Matt

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks, Matt.
Making some lights this weekend.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I have the "Extend-A-Truck". Added a HB light kit and reflective stickers to it.

http://www.extendatruck.com/

I don't use much it anymore. Plan on selling it in the near future.

Al
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:04:50 PM by Alfredo »

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Paul, just opened one of those coupon packs sent in the mail. One of the coupons is for 20 percent off any item at Harbor Freight Tools. So don't toss that packet that you may have received in the mail.

Paul707

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks a lot fellas, lots of great info here :smt002 wont be long now and ill be in business.. Hojoman, i do get the harbour freight tools coupons, thanks for pointing that out :smt005

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Bed extensions....I've been driving like this for years with no hassle from the man.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker