Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: thinking of getting a hobie...  (Read 4466 times)

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Hey all,

so i've recently sold the jetski that i've been using to fish off of for the last few years. With it gone, i was planning on getting back on the water. The maintenance/towing/storage/launching/fees was getting old, so i figured it was time for a different venture. Those reasons are also why i don't want to get into another boat. Sure, having people around to fish with is always fun, but they're usually not around 2-3 hours after the trip to clean the fish, gear, and boat... lol.

With that said, along with a bit of research, i've been teetering on the idea of getting an outback (read: unable to talk myself out of buying one, lol). I initially wanted a Pro Angler, but loading and paddling a big heavy yak in the event of equipment failure doesn't appeal much to me either. At this point, (after years of owning boats) i wanted to take advantage of the simplicity a hobie offers.

I've been looking at used ones, but they seem to hold their value pretty well, so springing a few hundred for a brand new one with warranty (and peace of mind) doesn't seem too out of the question. Has anyone had any good experiences with local dealers? i'm open to commuting to pick one up, but it seems most dealers in the Bay Area, and hobie in general, all have controlled pricing. Not sure if there are specific times when theyre allowed to have sales, but im looking to maximize on any cost saving opportunities. Not in a huge rush to get one either. My yak of choice would be a 12' 2017 outback with the md180, something i could just toss in the truck bed and off i go.

If anyone has an recommendations or words of wisdom, please let me know! Hoping to get back on the water, and thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:47:38 PM by boosted »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
You can't go wrong with a Hobie. I had the Adventure (now known as the Revo 16) for several years, and last year got a used Adventure Island. I don't know too much about the Outback, but I'd say it's definitely way more versatile than the PA. And, you might want to consider the Revo 13, as that's going to be faster than the Outback, giving you more range (the tradeoff being that it's slightly narrower and less deck space).

You are correct about Hobies holding their value so if you can afford it, new is the way to go IMHO. Hobie warranty support is absolutely incredible.

As for bargains on new(ish) Hobies, the only discounts you're likely to see are on previous model year (or older) kayaks that haven't sold, and it seems to me that even those are not too great. Many dealers do offer discounts on other things when you buy a new kayak, which could save some money if you know what you need.

I'm sure others will have suggestions on local dealers. It's probably sacrilege to admit it, but the only new Hobie I've purchased came from online (Austin Kayak---it was cheaper to pay shipping than the ridiculous CA sales tax, and it was delivered faster than any local dealer could get it).
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for sharing NowhereMan!

i've found that to be true as well. i've looked at a few local dealers who also have online stores, many of their reviews are from out of state customers. i'm assuming they are benefiting from not having to pay their own state tax or shipping costs, a few of the local dealers had free shipping. Hoping i dont have to look out of state. I'm a big supporter of local businesses and wanting to see if we have those same options without having to look at other states.

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
DEMO DEMO DEMO
Pick first and second then demo
Seems Outback and Revo 13 top two choices

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
DEMO DEMO DEMO ...

Can't argue with that, but you need to keep in mind that wider (more stable) will probably win in a brief demo. It takes a bit longer to adjust to a narrower kayak, but over time, it might prove just as stable in use.

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Have the Outback and Pro Angler.  Find myself fishing out of the Outback more. Easier to load and unload, easier to paddle (really nice in the delta cruising through all the growth) and it feels like it gets pushed around a little less in light breezes - and its easier to use with a light anchor (1lb) to grab the bottom in shallow water to target an area for some casts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks all! I'll be demo'ing a few tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out how to get the best deal, or where.

Gallywick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
I got lucky and got a great used Outback for cheep but I looked every day on CL for like a whole summer and had to travel to get it, anyway I  seconded guessed my choice, the outback feels like a barge compared to the regular paddle yaks i had in the past, but the hands free fishing is priceless, so I thought a Revo 13 would solve my need for speed until i talked to quite a few people that regretted trading there outback for the Revo, they all told me they hardly felt a difference in speed and the lack of stability and deck space was defiantly not worth it. Now im dreaming of a Revo 11 as a second yak for the real clean days and hard to reach launches because they are so light. :smt044   
Don't spit in your whiskey!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
so I thought a Revo 13 would solve my need for speed until i talked to quite a few people that regretted trading there outback for the Revo, they all told me they hardly felt a difference in speed and the lack of stability and deck space was defiantly not worth it.
I have never heard anybody say this, ever. It's usually the exact opposite...guys buy Outback because they're initially concerned with "stability." Then swap it out for a Revo after a year or two.
Remember, you will inevitably learn to balance better...but your kayak can't learn how to be faster.
Stability is over rated, and only a valid consideration if you are a hardcore freshwater basser who doesn't have to paddle/pedal very far. Or, if you're a big guy (over 6'5" or 300lbs).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

iroelikethat

• Fish! It's whats for dinner!
  • Sea Lion
  • 42 in the left 38 in the right-Feather River
  • View Profile JeffE's Myspace Page
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I'm on my second outback...
California Canoe and Kayak in Jack london Sq. great service...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
South Bay Safety Squad - TEAM CAPTAIN  Screen name generator and General Instigator from Decatur

FKV-1 2005 Liquid Logic Manta Ray (Decommissioned)
FKV-2 2010 Hobie Outback (Decommissioned)
FKV-3 2014 Jackson Cuda (In-service)
FKV-4 2017 Hobie Outback (Inaugural Pacific Mission/ Christening - Albion- Aug 10th 2017)

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
i used lost anchovy revo 13 at Big Sur since it was lighter than my outback

the revo is definitely a lot faster. When I was paddling and peddling I was going over 5 mph easily. It doesn't take much to get it going since the bottom is flat vs the outback with the v-hull (to make it more stable?)

I have to admit the revo I can't move around as much and it is more tippy than the outback for sure. Reaching in the front hull of the revo was a choir. On the outback it was a piece of cake to get into the front hatch without worrying about going over.

I love my outback but wouldn't mind getting a revo for trips like Big Sur when you have to lower your kayak down 50 feet. The 10-15 lbs difference make a huge difference! The bottom being flat is also nice to drag across sand and rocks. The outback bottom sucks when I'm dragging it across the sand or mud or rocks lol

with a lot of issue on the 180 drive with it breaking makes me cautious. I like the reverse but if it breaks well...yeah it would suck lol

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I picked my Outback up from an end of season sale at a Kayak rental store in Lake Tahoe.  I'm not sure if they carry other models but they purchase Outbacks brand new at the beginning of the summer then sell them at the end of the same summer for 30% less what they paid.  I bought mine last September for $1700 and the guy even delivered it to me for another $150.00.  I may be purchasing another this year!  Great deal.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass along the info.

-Schills

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Remember, you will inevitably learn to balance better...but your kayak can't learn how to be faster.
Stability is over rated ...

This!

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I love my revo and wouldnt consider changing out to a outback especially after taking it boat in camping and fitting everything needed for 3 days comfortably. Fast, stable, sexy

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Man! That doesn't make my decision any easier... haha. I definitely like the new camo model outback, I went to check them out today but didn't demo. There's a nice used outback on Craigslist now that I was thinking about checking out. Is the revo that much faster?  I'd love the deck space since I don't have collapsible crab nets. There are a few revo demos for sale too, I've got some thinking to do ...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:37:25 PM by boosted »