Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Eel River Estuary w/ video  (Read 2044 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I scouted the lower river from Pedrazzini launch up to Fulmor road and back Sunday afternoon.  Covered five and a half miles where I saw a dozen and a half seals, one group of 4 otters, no fish rolling but one big adult being eaten by a seal.  The river, as always, was awesome, and it's such a friendly paddling environment down there.  I enjoy the time I spend down there each Fall.  What a plus that the launch is less than 5 minutes from my house.   :smt007

I pulled a Little Cleo around here and there, but the absence of any fish rolling indicated that a bite would be tough to come by.

For what it's worth, I've caught very few fish down in the estuary over many years of trying, and the ones I've caught were half pounders.  The reality of this fishery, for a guy honestly fishing a lure that would need to get bit (as opposed to dragging it across a known school of salmon), is that it's very rare to get whatever combination of special circumstances it takes to get that legitimate bite!  It DOES happen, but it's rare.  I've landed several adults farther upstream, and it's always been a legitimate bite on a Little Cleo. 

:smt001

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:28:56 AM by Abking »
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Thanks for the moments of peace,

Dale L

Sc X factor

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
That is truly beautiful country. Just the chance at a big fish is worth the time invested.

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Great video and pictures like always Abking. Thanks for sharing.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
    Abking, Beautiful scenery. I especially like the camera in the picture-picture. Another great video....especially about 2:10 seconds in where the kayak just seems to be drifting through the water...way cool.

NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Thanks, Guys.   :smt001

I especially like the camera in the picture-picture.

Yeah, Allen, I gotta have backup!   :smt003  That Olympus has proven to be a frustrating liability when the battery suddenly dies.  I can count on one good trip after charging it, then it'll always poop out and go from a "green" (full) battery icon right to a flashing, empty, red battery icon with a line through it, like, "WARNING:  BATTERY FAILURE IMMINENT!", which does occur rather quickly.   :smt012  So if the water isn't in the air (wind, waves, both...) I'll get the non-waterproof Sony out and continue filming, as I had to the other day.  It started raining right when I had to get the Sony out!   :smt005  It was light and stopped about 2 minutes later, so I was able to get the rest of the day's footage with the Sony on the tripod.  I have an extra battery for it, and it has a much better indicator of battery life - I can always see how many minutes of filming or photoing I have left.  I've had quite a few digi cams over the last 5 years, and the Sony's have served me well.  Each of them was probably having some kind of problem or another by about 10,000 pictures.  If I ever get freaky about how much I've spent on digi cams, batteries and memory cards I start calculating how much money I've saved on film and developing, not to mention the time to do it, and the freedom of taking so many more photos and videos is just a creativity dream come true (and a trainwreck of data to store!   :smt003).  I love this shit!   :smt001

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
That Olympus has proven to be a frustrating liability when the battery suddenly dies.  I can count on one good trip after charging it, then it'll always poop out and go from a "green" (full) battery icon right to a flashing, empty, red battery icon with a line through it, like, "WARNING:  BATTERY FAILURE IMMINENT!", which does occur rather quickly.   :smt012 

Really have to agree with you on the battery issue for the Olympus.  unreliable power supply.  Completely hamstrings you to have to conserve battery when you'd rather be snapping like paparazzo.  really screwed me over in Tahiti.  Sweet looking trip, though, can't wait to make it up there sometime

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I was thinking of selling my Optio to get an Olympus, since I really like having a viewfinder. Sounds like I should wait until they fix the battery issue.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

LoletaEric

• Manatee
since I really like having a viewfinder

Take another look at the photo above, Bill - there's no viewfinder on the Olympus I have.  I don't like that.  Sometimes it's hard to see the LCD screen...

Nawm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Just the peace and solitude is reason enough to keep giving it another try.  What a beautiful place Northern California is, I love where we live and play......

Norm

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
since I really like having a viewfinder

Take another look at the photo above, Bill - there's no viewfinder on the Olympus I have.  I don't like that.  Sometimes it's hard to see the LCD screen...

One of the Olympus underwater models has a viewfinder. I think it has the same battery problem, though.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

anything