Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting Crabs Home?  (Read 2004 times)

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I tried a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm crabbing for the first time next week, but that has spawned a lot of questions. Most importantly, what is the best way to care for crabs after you catch them?? I'm aware that once they die, the clock is ticking quickly.

Home is about two hours from where we are fishing, so I'm thinking I have a couple options:

1. Put in ice chest with a little ice, cover with a wet towel soaked in ocean water for the drive, and cooking immediately when I get home.

2. Cook them immediately after getting on shore, then put in a cooler with lots of ice.

I'd rather cook them at home, but I couldn't find much information on how long the wet towel method will work.

Anyone? Thank you.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
#1 should work fine.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I used to travel from HMB all the way to Fresno with them in a wet burlap sack (in ice chest) without issue.
With that said,
I would rather clean and cook (Steam) on beach if I could. Much cleaner tasting, and less work after a long drive.
Good luck
;0)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hobie Outback (dune)

Zzz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I put them in an ice chest with a wet salty towel over them. No ice. And I keep the lid cracked open for air flow.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Inside wet burlap bag, with ice still in plastic bag, cooler closed, everybody always made it home  (but I have a less than 2 hour drive).  Once home, I move them into the sink to roam a little, with some running water.  Then, straight to steamer, usually within two hour or less. 

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I used to travel from HMB all the way to Fresno with them in a wet burlap sack (in ice chest) without issue.
With that said,
I would rather clean and cook (Steam) on beach if I could. Much cleaner tasting, and less work after a long drive.
Good luck
;0)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I second this. I put it in the ice chest with some ice and a wet burlap over them. Then once home I break them apart from the shell, clean it up, split it in half then steam it. I found a huge pot to fit 7-8 crab in there. I would rather clean it on the beach but sometime after a long day on the water, you just want to go home. lol

I used to steam the whole crab but that process takes soooooooo long when processing 10 crabs lol

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Let the hate posts begin.... clean them in the surf ALIVE then your good on ice for a day or two. I prefer the taste of them when boiled or steamed AFTER cleaning...... I know what you’ll gonna say, but the “butter taste” and here’s my logical explanation.... do you eat your elk or deer after cooking it WITH the guts in it? Me neither. If you want to know how to clean alive I can explain in more detail.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

DiveForFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I bought a cheap air bubbler that works off of my 12v  cigarette lighter. When I need to travel long sdistances after crabbing or know I can’t cook them as soon as I get home for some reason I’ll theow them in a cooler with some sea water and throw the bubbler in there. They are just as lovely as the second I caught them.

Stone85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I use a buttery powered air bubbler and toss them in a bucket with ocean water
When it’s hot out I will toss a ice pack in as well

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I use a buttery powered air bubbler and toss them in a bucket

Need some garlic and some salt and pepper too  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I've been doing a 2 hour drive to HMB.  I freeze plastic orange juice bottles of water and lay them in the bottom of a 48qt cooler.  I just put the crabs in my kayak hull when I'm coming in and then in the cooler for the ride home.  They can be lethargic when I get home because they are cold.  First time I laid them on the floor while I was cooking them but they warm up and start moving pretty good.  Back in the cooler.  Everything has been good, haven't had a crab die.. the closest I had was when I pulled 2 crabs at 10 am and had them in the hull of my boat all day.  They were still moving their eyes and were bubbling 11 hours later when they went in the boiling water.  So I don't stress covering them with anything wet.  I leave my pots in the water till the end of the day though.

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I bought a cheap air bubbler that works off of my 12v  cigarette lighter. When I need to travel long sdistances after crabbing or know I can’t cook them as soon as I get home for some reason I’ll theow them in a cooler with some sea water and throw the bubbler in there. They are just as lovely as the second I caught them.

I use a buttery powered air bubbler and toss them in a bucket with ocean water
When it’s hot out I will toss a ice pack in as well

+1 Air bubbler in cooler. Be careful because crabs are very lively and feisty even 10 hours later.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
All great info. Thank you!

Heading out the 28th. I'll post a report with the results.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Don't put them in water unless you do have the bubbler - they'll suffocate in short order.

I leave them in a bucket or cooler with lid cracked all night at times - no probs.

Enjoy your crabbing adventure!  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I've been doing a 2 hour drive to HMB.  I freeze plastic orange juice bottles of water and lay them in the bottom of a 48qt cooler.  I just put the crabs in my kayak hull when I'm coming in and then in the cooler for the ride home.  They can be lethargic when I get home because they are cold.  First time I laid them on the floor while I was cooking them but they warm up and start moving pretty good.  Back in the cooler.  Everything has been good, haven't had a crab die.. the closest I had was when I pulled 2 crabs at 10 am and had them in the hull of my boat all day.  They were still moving their eyes and were bubbling 11 hours later when they went in the boiling water.  So I don't stress covering them with anything wet.  I leave my pots in the water till the end of the day though.

YEP!
1). crabs drown in melted ice water so I use big frozen juice jugs instead of traditional ice. These things are awesome & really last without making a mess. (I use for camping too)
Since cold air sinks, put the jugs on top of your catch for max chill effect.
2) Wet burlap bag is what I use on the water. During the outing, I dunk this"goody bag" in the water (works great for fresh fish too) often and the catch does incredibly well.  Wet burlap bag full of catch is crazy heavy. Helps keep the inmates calmer too
3). Costco sells a giant insulated bag (found near the TP/dog food) for $8.00, which is I transport for sometimes more than 2hrs with live crabs at home
4)  Cook at beach sounds good to me if you're organized. I've found that the 2 hr drive home is extra rough when there's gear to be dealt with along with cooking crabs.  For example: Landfall, then fire up kettle for steaming (less water, better taste, faster, healthier), crack a beer, start breaking down gear, throw crabs in, 15 minutes steam time & break down gear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything