Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GET YOURSELF CHECKED!!!  (Read 65130 times)

Ben

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Joel, I'm so sorry my friend to hear this news. You have been an inspiration to us all and we wish you the very best. I know a few people that have had stage four cancer and have beat it. I know that if yours is beatable you will! Very much appreciate the updates. Your in our prayers.

Like Dale L, I went for my first colonoscopy last year. To all of you who are putting this off, DON'T! The worse thing about having one is drinking the laxative the night before and running to the bathroom. The actual procedure is nothing. I had a couple of polyps removed during the procedure but didn't know anything until I was told afterword. I'm clear for 5 years before I have to have another one. If your 50 and over, don't put this off.

Ben

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There is no routine screening for other cancers for men.

Scott, it's not just about cancer. It's really anything that's out there to kill us is what we need to address. Symptoms or not, get yourself checked anyway.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:58:42 PM by Mooch »

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks for the push Mooch. Yeah, I'm guilty as well of not getting a yearly physical exam. I will make an appointment first thing tomorrow. Take good care
of yourself bro and keep thinking positive. Remember you have tons of bros and sis
ready to be there for you.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Nicely said Scott.

Joel, excuse my ignorance, but if the doctors don't have the biopsy results, how can they tell that it is stage 4?  You're a stronger man than myself; I was wincing in pain just reading what they did to you.

Michael, the PET scan found metastasized cancer.

porky (bp)

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I tend to agree with you here Mooch. My dad self diagnosed his "really sore throat" as a cold. A year and a half later, he was medically diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. A simple trip to the doc a year and a half earlier would have made a huge difference. With that said, I haven't seen a doc in years, I admit I'm a pussy, the doc freaks me out.  To Scotts point, even once a year is a great game plan, but don't ignore those nagging pains or even a simple sore throat. Now that I have a daughter, and Mooch has awaken me to the seriousness of not getting checked, I'm going to be responsible and get checked.  It doesn't take much time and takes minimal effort.

Your a posive influence man, I don't mean to be negative or a whiner about my dad, but we miss him dearly. I appreciate you speaking up and getting people talking, that's what it's all about man, keep up the positive vibe dude.  

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That is correct Joel. The annual checkup includes screening for chronic conditions (heart disese, diabetes), immunizations, BMI and blood pressure.

As far as colon cancer screening after age 50 there are 3 options including annual stool tests to check for blood which is what I chose.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I have a full physical every year, and had my first colonoscopy at 50.

Had my first corotid ultrasound at 50, and was told I had the arterial system of a 77 year old man. Advanced arterial scelrosis.

Don't smoke, not a heavy drinker, not much of a meat eater, exercise a lot...... Got my Dad's genes.....

Cool thing is my Doc has now specialized in preventing heart attacks in guys my age with this disease. In 4 years, I now have the arterial system of a 71 year old man. That's an amazing 10 year swing.

Joel, the technology we have today is incredible. Keep the faith brother!!

Rich

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
i am soooooo not wanting to get a scope up my rectum yet,,,,,but what i am really not wanting to do is miss a meal, like i heard is needed. 

they say Latinos need to go in at 40 = i'm only half mexican, so i'll round it out to 45 and go then,,,,,i just remembered.... i just turned 45 :smt013  a laxative the night before? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
dam I haven't been to a doctor in 10 years I think it is time to go  :smt012
3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Honestly I'd feel more comfortable going to a veterinarian.  Can't stand doctors and hospitals.

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Adam,

Dude, its oh so much more than a laxative. It is an entire purge..... You'll be clean as a whistle, and then the camera can see what's going on. And you can watch the whole process (in color)...

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
  a laxative the night before? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

traffic reduction. Got to have a clear road for the camera :smt002.

I also have been guilty of taking the "tough guy" path on occasion, but that's been more about my PCP changing every couple of years. I've been through 3 so far. The first thing I asked my current doc was "are you going to live here in Santa Cruz?" He wanted to raise his kid in a coastal town & was prepared for the monetary sacrifice so he's been my Dr for 4 years now.

Shoot, I'm 40 now? When did that happen? :smt012

pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You're just a kid Sean.....

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

Honestly I'd feel more comfortable going to a veterinarian.  Can't stand doctors and hospitals

Well Eric, everybody says, "You're such an animal".
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Honestly I'd feel more comfortable going to a veterinarian.  Can't stand doctors and hospitals.

OK Kramer!   :smt005  You are one funny dude, e

And the five women in the exam room were a kick, said they were having a party and I was invited,

Kidding right?  Man, I cannot wait ...  :smt011

anything