Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Coosa floatation  (Read 8217 times)

Hydrospider

A high volume boat for being so short and it excels at climbing out of hydrology because of it.
All of that space and buoyancy also increases the amount of "essentials" that can be brought on overnighters. Hooray!

Problem
High gallon boats bring a lot of dead space and the same hydrology that this boat was made to tackle could challenge the shock cord secured front and back hatches. Not good.

Inflatables are great but they take out most of the usable hull space and nothing inside is secure enough to maintain solid weight distribution or keep gear accessible.
Solution?
36 varied sizes.

Here is a few shots to show how the project progressed.

The aft section.

The exposed plastic in the aft storage will be covered with the Conceal material for grip and aesthetics.
This is the foundation and will be altered as river gear finds it home on this boat.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:09:22 AM by Hydrospider »

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Looks awesome!  I commend your OCD j/k :smt044  Will the structures stay in place even during rough handling and/or with loose gear bouncing around?  My concern would be for a keystone piece to be knocked loose and all the rest lose tension.  Looks super clean the way it is though, nice work 
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Man I always love your post Terry. You spend more time tweaking on your kayaks than anyone I know. Looks like pool noodle art.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

bwodun

Man I always love your post Terry. You spend more time tweaking on your kayaks than anyone I know. Looks like pool noodle art.
+1 looks awesome, oh and functional, cameron

Hydrospider

Looks awesome!  I commend your OCD j/k :smt044  Will the structures stay in place even during rough handling and/or with loose gear bouncing around?  My concern would be for a keystone piece to be knocked loose and all the rest lose tension.  Looks super clean the way it is though, nice work 

One of the primary functions is so that there is no loose gear to bounce around. Everything will be crammed into its specific place and hopefully it will stay. I have been working on similar projects for some time and learning from my mistakes. Usually the solution is more pool noodles.

I believe running transducer and power source wires through the noodles help make ops smoother.

As far as a "keystone" section goes, it depends on how you have the tubes running through the hull.
If you rib the hull length ways, the bulk head is the primary piece securing the ribs.

In the Coosa, it would be the mini cell structural support that Jackson provided.

Another function that I find value in, is that keeping gear from sliding around in the plastic hull increases stealth.
This project will continue, but right now I'm out of pool noodles and there is a stack of projects in the lair.

Glad that you're enjoying the work Dan. I'm hoping that there will be a fall release on the Stani and we can enjoy some lawn chair surfing and an overnighter at the boat in camp. Will be the perfect test of function.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:50:36 PM by Hydrospider »

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Freaking pool noodle Jedi!
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
So, "the solution is usually more pool noodles..."

Got it! The pics really help as well... it's definitely a tutorial. Thanks for sharing the how-to.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
You IPA guys.............. :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
<=>

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Master of the Noodle!
Thanks for the pics & explanations. I think I need more pool noodles in my yaks.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
The question should be how many noodles are enough? Since one of those noodles will float my ass, I would asume that roughly ten should be more than enough. I shove as many as possible but nothing compared to this setup. Must have way too much extra time on your hands!  :smt005
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Hydrospider

I would guess that the "how many is enough" would depend on the individual and what kind of water and situations the boat would be exposed to.  Trying to drag a flooded boat out of white water can get you hurt and can kill a lot of time on the river/ daylight if the boat is pinned. Almost every injury Ive witnessed on trips is during portage and having gear and weight sliding around in your boat can increase portage difficulty. Im not presenting my work as the answer for everyone but maybe someone can take my ideas and enjoy some smoother ops. We all have different levels and styles of rigging and this is mine.

Here are a few more of the pool noodle transducer/wiring style that I prefer.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:44:39 PM by Hydrospider »

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Nice job Terry love the ducer mount you have truly transformed Pool Noodle to Kayak Pasta. How much weight do you think you have added to the Coosa?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Hydrospider

Just enough to notice that its heavier.

Hydrospider

Floatation foundation on my second Coosa.
I know that kayak fishing general pop thinks that flotation is optional.
I laugh, deep down in my ball sack, when the hacks sink and swim.

From bow to aft.
simple functional flotation.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
It’s neat looking but I would be weary about drying everything out after any trips to avoid any mold buildup.  :smt006
-Jason