Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK Derby  (Read 5138 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Concentrated my efforts by trooching the shallows for halibut but got no joy :smt012 It really looked promising by the hotel cuz the bait was THICK (just like last year) so I switched to trolling tactics and pulled a deep diving yozuri in and out of the bait zone in about 8 to 10 FOW. Got too close to the breakers a few times and nearly soiled myself :smt118 I worked the area really hard for nearly an hour and decided to abort "Mission Halibut" to "Plan B Rock Fish".....

Here's how I trooch (slow troll for halibut)....who needs rod holders when you can feel the bite instantly and easily grab the rod  :smt002

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Plan B Rock Fish was a almost a failure until I switched to my SUPER SECRET $$ LURE ....it did not catch the big fish but it took the skunk off my yak  :smt002

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
There was a school of great white sharks all around me ....so I figured the fishing would be slow...decide to take a few photos so my friend Angel (Pacifico) will have an idea of what a shark looks like if he ever encounters one  :smt002 (He saw his first whale about a month ago and got very exicted...so excited that he wanted to paddle right next to it so he can pet it like a puppy dog :smt009 apparently, Mexico does not have any sort of marine life  :smt104)

Anyway, Happy Birthday primo  :smt008 (Let it be known that I risked my life for these exclusive photos)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:48:13 AM by Mooch »

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Here's the photo of the winning fish that never made it to the weigh-in....the story goes....Andy / Fish Master 1 came in about an hour early to weigh-in his winning Halibut....but...he was too busy entertaining the press at the shoreline and having a little much cervesa   :party  to pre-celebrate his victory fish that he lost track of time and missed the weigh-in by a couple of hours.... :smt011

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:53:19 AM by Mooch »

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
   That was fun.  Lots of yaks.  I think we can safely say there were no halibut out there Sunday.  I caught about the same number of med to small rockies as everyone else.  I got a little thrill with a little ling who was foul-hooked - did anyone else see any lings?   Good hot dogs.  Thanks to Allen and MBK folks and congrats to the winners.
    I expect the Monterey police to be checking yaks for paint transfer from the stop light pole that happened just as anglers were showing up.
    For next time, for out-of-towners: is it WalMart or K Mart that allows self-contained vehicles to overnight in their lot?  There's a WalMart in Marina. 

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
good to read that you all had fun & grats' to Eugene!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Aaron

• Salmon
  • Love and respect the great blue world.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Thanks for making this a great event! Man, the vibe up here is super cool.What a group of great guys and gals.Congrats e2g and the father and son team.Sincoast,thanks for the great report and congrats on the carbon paddle.Let's hook up for a Sur slaying commando raid soon.  :smt002
Mooch, "Do you want hot buns with your man-dog?"  :smt003
Manager Monterey Bay Kayaks Moss Landing
ACA Certified Instructor,Kayak Tour Guide

Mosca

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
First of all thanks to all who participated (it was amazing to see so many yak anglers out there) and those who put this on (SCAllen, MBK, etc.), and of course congratulations to the winners!
Thanks to SinCoast for letting me tag along and making the "spot" happen, accidentally of course.  (But I contend it was a takedown :smt002)
This was my first tourney and I had a blast participating. 
I came close to those dolphins as well, I heard them splashing about 5ft away from me at one point.  Which was when I hooked up a sardine!  Got some bites but only one nice brown stuck.  Hopefully I will get a chance soon to attempt a Hali catch.

Damian.
Quiero pescar un chingo de peces...

Ben

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
What a day! Fishing was slow but enjoyed every second of it. Many thanks to scallen, MBK & Ocean Kayaks for putting on the event :smt023. Always great to see the NCKA bunch in force. I never would have thought a 3lb red would have taken the grand prize. But, if anyone is deserving it is E2G. Congrats to all the winners :smt002

Joel and I headed straight to the beach hotel to about 60' of water. Thought we would try a little deeper as quite a few yakers were in the shallow areas. Was really hoping to get a hali, but nothing. Did manage to catch a hitchiking crab that turned out to be the thrill of the day  :smt003. Caught quite a few small to medium size rockfish, all released. Ended the day with one of Aaron's giant mandogs. Attached is a photo of Joel on the yellow kayak, a mystery yaker on the Malibu, and the hitchhiking crab. Thanks to all for a great day :smt002

Frankfishing

Hey Ben that crab would have taken it if it was legal :smt044. Mystery yaker is the famous Insane Duane in the pimp mobil.
Had a great time with only one fish that was released. Was in great company and looking forward to Bam.

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
...apparently, Mexico does not have any sort of marine life  :smt104)

Anyway, Happy Birthday primo  :smt008 (Let it be known that I risked my life for these exclusive photos)

Gracias Primo! Sorry I couldn't make it I had another event to attend... rest assured that although I wasn't there I was also not thinking of you.  :smt003  I love you though for having risked your live for the photos.
Rub-cifico

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
that is insaneduane on the malibu.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

Rob

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'm reporting late because i don't have much to report. lol  I concentrated mostly on halibut around the hotel , after a few hours I started to get bored and decided to try for rocks.  I got a few small gophers a canary and a sanddab. Not great but i had a good time.  Congratulations Eugene, Pat, Nathan and Ernie. WTG. Thanks to MBK and Scallen for putting on this event.
Rob

anything