Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: carry a spare mirage drive on your Hobie? [updated]  (Read 6063 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The bearings should make the "clamshell" parts of the drive last much longer reducing the sloppiness of the drive. This in turn should keep the chains in alignment ...less noise...less wear and tear on the sprockets etc.

Also more efficient pedaling...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Remember not to take your MD for granted. Clean it, service it, take care of it and it will take care of you.

How do you service and take care of yours?  I just rinse and spray some WD40.  Curious how others maintain their MD.  thx.

Check for cracks. Lube. Tighten nuts and bolts. Make sure no cables are frayed. If something is damaged, replace the part.
<=>

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
 :smt023
Remember not to take your MD for granted. Clean it, service it, take care of it and it will take care of you.

How do you service and take care of yours?  I just rinse and spray some WD40.  Curious how others maintain their MD.  thx.

Check for cracks. Lube. Tighten nuts and bolts. Make sure no cables are frayed. If something is damaged, replace the part.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Am I the only one who think it is ridiculous that we are talking about bring along spare mirage drives? It seems to me hobie needs to redesign their mirage drive to be more robust. The mirage drive is like a fine Italian sports car. It is great when it runs, but it is in the shop all the time. What we need is a toyota of pedal drive, one that just keeps working. Are the other pedal drives such as propel, pdl, and helix pd as prone to failure as the mirage drive?

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Am I the only one who think it is ridiculous that we are talking about bring along spare mirage drives? It seems to me hobie needs to redesign their mirage drive to be more robust. The mirage drive is like a fine Italian sports car. It is great when it runs, but it is in the shop all the time. What we need is a toyota of pedal drive, one that just keeps working. Are the other pedal drives such as propel, pdl, and helix pd as prone to failure as the mirage drive?
I think some of you folks are missing the point. 

I don't believe these drives are prone to fail.  But the more you use it and the harder you use it the risk or odds do go up.  Same with your kayak, paddle, fish finder, fishing pole, or any accessories. 

I never carried an extra drive until I heard Raydons story.  Breaking a drive and a paddle on the same trip. 

In calm waters with no wind your mirage drive most likely will be fine unless its rusted or wasn't checked for cracks or defects. 

I have been out on the ocean when it has turned nasty.  Those are usually the times when extra force is put on the drive and I can feel it being worked harder. 

On shorter trips I don't need an extra drive.  But on longer ones where I know my arms may give out (nerve problems) if I have to paddle back I decided bringing an extra drive was worth it so I did not have to burden anyone with towing me in. 

I bring extra dive gear in case something breaks.  I don't want to cut a trip short so have figured out what minimum items I need to keep going on the water in case of a failure.  Doesn't mean they are prone to break. 

I know many who bring multiple fishing poles in case one breaks.  I don't and usually only bring one.  Those poles are not prone to break but I have had some break on me either way. 

So don't over think this.  For many one drive will work, but for me there are days I feel better taking an extra drive.  Places with strong currents, windy areas or on longer trips. 

Getting a pedal kayak was the only way for me to get out on the water.  I would go with a lighter kayak if I could, but I can't so I will just do what I have to so I can keep doing it. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I don't believe these drives are prone to fail. 

+1

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Am I the only one who think it is ridiculous that we are talking about bring along spare mirage drives?

wurd, bruh.  wurddddd!

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Any mechanical propulsion device used in salt water can fail. The weak links in the Mirage drive are the attachments, primarly cables. Inspect and replace when corroded or when seeing a broken wire strand. Other full revolution drives have lately been entering the market. Give them a few years to test their reliability against the Mirage drive. Probably be a wash. The Mirage drive is a relatively light unit. An almost unbreakable drive could be designed using heavier beefed up components but extra weight on a yak isn't desirable. No perfect boats, only compromises.
Charles

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

+1
I guess I'm "lucky" that over the course of 6+ years having the Adventure and Revo, Ive never had an issue. All thing wear and tear, including paddles...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

+1

+2.  I have had 2 rudder pins break OTW but never my Mirage Drives.

2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

+1

You have been fortunate. I have broken a mast inside the sprocket, and a guy I regularly fish hmb with has broken his mirage drive twice in 3 weeks. The 1st time the pedal arm snapped. The 2nd time his mast snapped at the sprocket. None of these failures could be prevented via routine inspection, unless you regularly untrasound your metal parts for fractures. And these are not simple repairs that you can perform on the water.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
You have been fortunate. I have broken a mast inside the sprocket, and a guy I regularly fish hmb with has broken his mirage drive twice in 3 weeks. The 1st time the pedal arm snapped. The 2nd time his mast snapped at the sprocket. None of these failures could be prevented via routine inspection, unless you regularly untrasound your metal parts for fractures. And these are not simple repairs that you can perform on the water.

Upgrading to solid crank arms is definitely worthwhile---breaking a crank arm could easily result in a nasty cut.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Matanaska broke his again yesterday. I've lost count.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Matanaska broke his again yesterday. I've lost count.

What things have broken/failed?
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

+1

Krusty has been going out 3-4 times a week with his Revo this year so i'm sure he's doubling or tripling what normal kayakers are doing in a year
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:38:17 PM by Fishcomb »