Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:38:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:36:03 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Meet "The Landlord" or How To Kill Yourself While Ab Diving  (Read 12522 times)

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
To echo what everyone else has already said, that was a great read!  You should definitely send that into a magazine for publication.  You've also made me reconsider my recent thoughts about digging out my dive gear and breaking my 20 year spear-fishing hiatus...  :smt002  Glad you survived to share your experience with us!
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Excellent reading and exciting ! You should try publishing someting if you have not already . Glad you made it through your ordeal , one or two good swallows of seawater ande I'm puking !

I've been diving 20+ years and I won't dive anywhere near there , thats crazy ! If you should want to travel as far as Pt. Arena try Moat Creek , excellent spot for a beginner especially on a low to minus tide , like a swimming pool in spots .

Gue

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Awesome Post...!! Glad you are still with us to tell the story... instead being front page news.  When the " hair on the back of your neck " stands up...! and the  "little voice of warning " in your subconscious starts to Scream..!!! seek safety or prepare for battle.

Gue

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I agree with everyone else, great read.  I can only imagine the pucker factor when you saw the "landlord."  Or for that matter getting hung up in the kelp.  Glad to hear you made it back in one piece!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Speechless (silent !*#). WOW. Firsr of all, glad u r not a statistic. I will bw giving my kids an extra big bear hug after reading your post. Second, u should give up your day job b/c u r 1 talented writer. The entire 4 acts and postscript kept me on the edge of my seat.
Personally, I am a yak newb of 2 months and just bought all my freedive gear and was looking forward to my first dive. I'll still go, but I will have newfound respect for the sea, and will go to my local lake tomorrow to start practicing. Finally, I purchased a shark shield prior to reading this post, but it doesn't make me feel any more comfortable- just make me feel that I should take extra precautions and train more before taking my virgin dive. Thx for your post.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
GREAT story!!! I used to dive for abs at Ano Nuevo many years ago and when I would tell people I was diving there they would look at me like I was a ghost!
We would dive in murky dark water for hours looking for abs and then unchins, and then clams before getting out of the water. I would get that "feeling" almost every time but luckily never met "the landlord" in person.
 It's almost always better to be lucky than good.
Thanks for the great read!!!
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
hey MF do u work for the DFG? i remember sharkin in bolinas and a DFG guy that looked like u came through and helped me take a picture
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

FISHADOW

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Pusher of the Prowler. Watcher of the Wise.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
DAMN MAN!!! WTG Gettin back home. thats some super scetchy stuff. and your story was amazing. i felt like i was right on the boat(thankfully i wasn't). thanx for sharin
I like to have fun.......

LIVE LIFE!!!

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Great story.  I am seriously thinking of getting back into diving next year.  I never really got into diving for sport, but in the service/PMC we dove frequently using scuba and snorkel.  I did see a hammerhead off the keys once, we just held bottom and he swam off, no real threat.  I do know that going after abs, I will be taking it real slow.  I tried once, and never got an ab, my buddy limited in no time flat.  I know it will just take time, and a story like yours, reassures me that taking it slow and steady, at the cost of ab dinners, is just fine.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

anything