Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Reports from a foriegn land  (Read 10529 times)

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Hi dudes ,  :icon_r&r: . Well I managed to get out again . Still no sun in the UK  :smt011 . But I paddled a mile or two and wet a line . A word of explanation , in the UK the closed season for course fish [ roach , bream , carp , pike etc.. ] runs from 15th March until 16th June on rivers . I launched from here :    

It was my intention to go down to the coast . But the forecast was not great and as there are only a few days left of the course fishing season , I decided to give the tidal Medway a bash for pike .
The tide was still ebbing when I got there , so first of all I trolled a rapalla J-13 down stream as far as the sewage works outfall .

I then anchored below the outfall and put out a deadbait suspended below a float . The last time I fished this spot I was after carp and saw pike chasing fish . This time I saw carp swimming past my yak within touching distance . ::)

I then paddled up to Allington Lock and tried up there for a few hours . It was a big tide today with the water up level with the top of the weir gates .

So I still haven't managed a pike out of the tidal stretch . Now it will have to wait for next season .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:09:07 PM by todaymueller »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Hey todaymueller

is that the sewage outflow from Parliament? I think the one coming out of the white house is bigger

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hi dudes and dudesses  :smt006 ,
Got out again this week and to make a change the sun put in an appearance  :smt001 . And to top that I caught some fish  :smt003 .
I think I should point out that I pretty much copy and paste these reports from a British forum so if any of the terminology is weird just ask .
I launched from here :  

I was up early , unable to sleep , after a week of night shifts and drove down to Birchington on the North Kent coast . The sun was just peeking above the horizon as I wheeled the yak the short distance down to the waters edge .

Looking at the chart a few weeks ago I had spotted a drop off a mile or so down the coast towards Margate . I had already programed this into my GPS , so I paddled out steadily towards the little fishy icons on the garmin screen . Sure enough the echo sounder showed the bottom dropping away from 6 ft to 13 in a mater of a 100 metres . I dropped the hook where the bottom leveled off , got out the chopping board and prepared some bait , while the yak settled down on the end of the anchor line .
I soon started getting bites and within 20 minutes of arriving had 2 Thornback Rays in the boat ;D

Slack water was at 0945 and just as it was easing off , I had my first but you can bet not my last , dogfish of the year . I then had a couple of rolls and a drink of coffee while the tide turned .

Bites were coming steadily and the weather was glorious . It is surprising how far sound travels over water when it is calm . I could clearly hear people talking as they walked there dogs and stuff under the cliffs at Westgate/Birchington even though I must have been at least a quarter of a mile offshore .
I then hooked a TBR up the bum :o

I then managed to catch a founder , I think , if anybody can confirm the ID . I am not very good at flattie identification .

I managed another couple of Thornback rays as well as a pair of small whiting . The weather was really warming up and the sea was oily in appearance , I had had a good day with plenty of fish caught , a new mark tried and given a ++A . Definitely somewhere I will be trying again . ;D

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:17:03 PM by todaymueller »

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Great report - almost like being there with all the video footage!
No kidding about the fantastic weather over there for this time of year.
Catch & Repeat

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Its been a while since I posted , but seeing as I have recently come back from a trip to Cornwall I thought I would put up a post  :smt004 . This is Mullion Cove the other places mentioned are nearby  .

My line manager at work had been nagging me that I had too much toil saved up and that I needed to start using it up . So I put in for 4 days worth and set off for Cornwall on Wednesday morning . By early afternoon I was past Truro and Adam rang up and suggested a pint before heading down to the camp site . I found The Sportsman and met up with Adam for a few pints of Betty Stoggs and a big plate of steak and ale pie . It was drizzly when I got to the pub , when I left to go down to the Lizard and the campsite , it was lashing it down . I drove through roads like rivers and was soon at little trevethern camp site . I pitched my tent on the only patch of grass without a puddle and sorted myself out . By 8 o'clock I was feeling hungry and thirsty and decided to wander down to Coverack and the Paris hotel . My soaking wet army surplus poncho looked out of place next to the cashmere jumpers and burbery's . After another 5 or 6 pints of Betty Stoggs and a bowl of soup I decided to head back to the camp site . I trudged back , after half an hour of trudging :-/ I realized I was lost . I gave it another 15 mins . I was now heading out onto goonhilly downs and was sobering up fast . With thoughts of 'An American werewolf in London' playing in my mind :o I decided to head back and start again . I passed a T junction and decided to head down there for a couple of hundred yards and see if I recognized anywhere . I spotted a sign for the campsite and managed to find my way back arriving at the site from completely the wrong direction . Next time I will take a GPS and a torch . ::)

I squeezed my tent in somehow.

The next day Adam showed me a few launch sites and I headed off for Mullion cove , It was a bit to rough for fishing out past the island , so I had to content myself with fishing off the end and sheltered side of it .

I managed a few small but colourfull pollock but nothing else . I gave it until evening and then paddled back tired but happy . I slept well and was ready to have another go the next day .

The wind was even brisker the following day and I decided to go for Mullion again , as I figured I would be able to find some shelter somwhere . The sea was very confused with a lot of reflections back off the cliffs . I nearly turned back after anchoring once and then having to move . I dropped the anchor a second time tighter to the island and found that fishing was just possible . I had no bites and saw no fish , not a good second day .

The following day I met up with Adam and John at Tescos and headed down to Pothoustock and met up with Ian and Jan [soapnsuds] Down at the beach at least one other john was there , but I have forgoten all the names , my apologies .

It was a bit foggy and calm when we headed out we went north along the coast . Adam managed a Wrasse and I had another small Pollack I am not sure if anybody else had any . A breeze sprung up after a couple of hours and the sea got a bit choppy so we all headed back . I was expecting a rough landing but it was not so bad .
With the wind in the direction it was , Ian , Jan , Adam and myself headed over to Mullion cove and launched from there for another go .

The sea was much calmer here and as we got out past the island , a lovely rolling ocean swell was heading in from the Atlantic . We don't get them in the Thames estuary it was brilliant :D .
Using a rubber worm and sand eel cocktail I managed my first proper fish a Pollock of about 2 lb :)

I then headed out to some deeper water off of Mullion island and managed to bag better Pollock of about 5-6 lb 8-)

The scenery was stunning and it was great just paddling and drifting , taking it all in under the sunshine .

Adam and Jan also managed a Pollock a piece ;D

All to soon it was time to head back and haul the yacks back up the steep slip at Mullion cove . It had been a good day out on the water ,with a few fish caught in excellent company .

On Sunday we decided to have a go at trout fishing on Stithian reservoir and as it was the same price for hireing one boat as for launching 2 yaks , we decided to hire a boat and be sociable . We thrashed the water to foam with our flies but only managed a take each , no fish landed . The sun blazed down pretty much all day and despite us both wearing hats and slapping on some cream we both got a bit burnt . 8-)

At the end of the day we said our goodbyes and I headed back to the campsite to pack up and start the long drive home .
It was a good few days out on the water , the weather was better than I expected and A few fish were caught . The camp site was OK and was situated in an ideal spot with an easy drive to a few good marks on the lizard peninsular .

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:37:48 PM by todaymueller »

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
This page keeps crashing my firefox browser , is anybody else having this problem ?  :smt013

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Great story ("....out of place next to the cashmere jumpers and burbery's!  :smt003)
& always great to see your posts from across the sea.

Other people have had problems recently stemming from this page - seemed to be caused by certain adverts...
Catch & Repeat

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Ok  , I have modified the entire page , this time loading the video clips using the flash , rather than youtube button . The page now loads much better .  However some of the videos have come up as links only , I have no idea why ? I have also noticed that I have 'read i2.ytimg.com' showing at the bottom of my firefox browser . Whats that all about ? I appolagise if any of the bugs on this page have inconvenienced anybody .

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Your scenery and videos are great but it looks like your spots are a little fished out, or it's the wrong time of the year. 
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Your scenery and videos are great but it looks like your spots are a little fished out, or it's the wrong time of the year. 

I'm going to go with "fished out"; it is Britain after all.

Nice vids Mr Mueller, I hope to be sampling some UK Yak action later this summer.

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yea the videos are great.  I'll be stopping for an hour in London this summer on my way to Russia.  I'll be spending three months with family on the Rostov-on-Don river and the Black Sea. 
Keep the videos up that was just a observation and not meant to be offensive in anyway. 
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

todaymueller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I was in the West Country [Cornwall] a little early in the year , another month and the mackerel and bass would have been around in greater numbers . But its not just about the fish is it  :smt003 its about getting out on the water , seeing old friends , meeting new ones and connecting with the sea.

calbear

• Salmon
  • Waylon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I like your reports, my friend. Very refreshing. As far as your posting dilemma, perhaps starting a new post instead adding to the old one might help. I don't know, just a suggestion, might be worth a try. Looking forward to future reports.
Motorized boats are for the lazy limp d!%k$

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
What kind of rod holder is that on your bow?

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I was in the West Country [Cornwall] a little early in the year , another month and the mackerel and bass would have been around in greater numbers . But its not just about the fish is it  :smt003 its about getting out on the water , seeing old friends , meeting new ones and connecting with the sea.
What about the beer?! :beer3 :beer3 :beer3
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.