Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Anyone suggest a decent kayak paddle?  (Read 2564 times)

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
So I posted a question a week ago on how to fix this old paddle I have.  As it turns out, I lent my extra boat and that paddle to someone over the weekend - and they broke it.  Now my friend insists on buying me a new paddle.  I can't really let him pay full price for the paddle since the thing was ancient and obviously on its way out.  So I'll take whatever he think it was worth a use it towards the price of a good one.

So whats a good moderately priced paddle?  I had a Werner one piece for years and I liked it a lot.  Too bad I lost it.  It was so light it flew out of the back of my truck........somewhere.   I've been using an average to low grade two piece and although I'm not much impressed with the paddle, I've decided that a 2 piece is more convenient for kayak fishing.

Man, at this rate I'll never get a camera.  Keeping up with the stuff for yak fishing never stops.

Any suggestions........and a good site to buy one?

Dave

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hard to beat a Werner but other brands like bending branches and swift come to mind. I guess Claveys would be your best bet.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I use an ancient werner two piece when I want a breakdown paddle. It was a rental paddle for 5 years, and I've had it now for 15.
I'll need to replace it soon, I'll go for a werner camano I think. 20 yrs on a paddle is pretty good testament to durability.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I bought a used rental paddle from HMB Kayak. It was a carbon Werner paddle. I think i paid $75. I bet they could ship it, or find someone to pick it up for you on their way to PIF.  It's been a good replacement to my other werner paddle that got swept away while unleashed and unattended- i was too focused on digging for mirugai.  Good luck on your search.

Peace, y'all
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
adventure tech all glass paddle.  they are comfortable in the heat and cold, have nice big blades and hold up to crazy abuse, I have had mine 7 years and it still looks almost new  :smt001
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
You just missed a good sale at REI. I picked up the Aqua-Bound Manta Ray in carbon for $130 It's back up to $180 but that is still a good price for carbon. So far I'm liking it - love the locking mechanism. No more stuck two piece and it's easy to change blade angle
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I am on my 4th paddle now.  After using different brands and models, the Werner Camano is so far the best I've owned.  Lots of power on that baby without any extra effort needed. 

Turns my yaks into Porsche's :smt004
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green