Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fish finder wirings help  (Read 1742 times)

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
The FF came in with the kayak I bought so I have no clue about it other than pressing the ON button.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, here are the pics...

Pic 1 - What is the part name of the plastic thing and do I cut that to re-attach the wiring?

Pic 2 - name of the part because I am missing one for the black line.

Pic 3 - the name and the purpose of it.

Pic 4 - overall view of the “thing”

Any takers?  Thanks in advance resident gurus!

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Inline fuse for positive side (red wire) to battery. None for black wire needed.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
That is an inline fuse and its purpose is so you don't fry your head unit or melt a hole in your kayak out on the water.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
1) Wire crimp. Cut it off to rewire.

2) Female wire disconnect. They are color coded based on the wire gauge.

3) Inline fuse. It protects your fish finder from over current

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Perfect!  Thanks for the help.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006
  Brown thingamagiggy is a female spade connector.  Accepts a male spade.  Both are designed for crimping wires into them, typical use. Used for quick and easy disconnecting of items.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
What they said but I’ll add the white and yellow thing likely a straw maybe McDonald’s.  :smt044  YouTube is your friend but I recommend soldering the wires after crimping to help them hold and protect them from corrosion a little longer then bare... also a little marine goop and heat shrink tubing goes a long way to protect the wires.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Also, use this stuff on any connections it helps against the rust if you're going out on the saltwater:
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-82003-Anti-Corrosion/dp/B000K8ZZ3O

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Got it! Is there a particular size for the connector (12v battery) or better yet a link so that I can buy the right one... Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:34:56 PM by Johny23 »

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
looks like a red lowrance power cable - what did you get, a lowrance elite or hook series?

It's pretty easy as to what you need to do.

1. Connect the red wire from the lowrance plug to one end of the fuse wire.  then, connect the other end of the red fuse wire to a + side of a battery.

2. Connect the black wire from the lowrance plug to the negative side of a battery.  I would suggest heat shrink butt connectors.  Probably you're looking for the Red* butt connectors for that size wire (around 18gauge). 

3. I would also heat shrink the connections with a lighter, or even better a heat gun. 

4. before you do any permanent crimp connections, I would make sure to do a test to make sure everything is working.  you can do this with test leads (alligator clips) or by just connecting wires together with wire nuts. I usually do one connection at a time, then test connectivity with test leads.  good way to ensure you didn't screw anything up with a certain connection.

What type of battery are you using? If you are using a normal 12v brick, you are looking for a female spade connector.  soldering is the best but crimping works fine.  you need a cable crimper to ensure you get a nice solid connection. same as above, look for the red color ones and heat shrink your connections to protect them.

you will also want to get some sort of dry box to protect your battery from water intrusion, especially saltwater.  some dielectric grease on all connections would help as well.

I've got everything you could need here if you want to come out to livermore.  Just got a shipment of a ton of spade connectors for my boat wiring, and have plenty of heat shrink and butt connectors around. I can even give you a basic 12v tutorial if you're interested.  I am just a hack but over time I've gotten better and better. 9 years ago i was just a f*** up but now my connections are pretty solid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:47:39 PM by bmb »

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
you will also want to get some sort of dry box to protect your battery from water intrusion, especially saltwater.  some dielectric grease on all connections would help as well.

If you go to the Northwest Kayak Angler's Forum and do a search for "Battery Box," you'll find some long and useful postings describing various waterproof battery boxes.  I posted a description of the battery boxes which I use at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17734.msg191025#msg191025 .