Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:06:44 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting Crabs Home?  (Read 2006 times)

Stone85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I use a buttery powered air bubbler and toss them in a bucket

Need some garlic and some salt and pepper too  :smt001

😂 don’t forget the bay leaves! Marinade marinade marinade!

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017

YEP!
1). crabs drown in melted ice water so I use big frozen juice jugs instead of traditional ice. These things are awesome & really last without making a mess. (I use for camping too)
Since cold air sinks, put the jugs on top of your catch for max chill effect.
2) Wet burlap bag is what I use on the water. During the outing, I dunk this"goody bag" in the water (works great for fresh fish too) often and the catch does incredibly well.  Wet burlap bag full of catch is crazy heavy. Helps keep the inmates calmer too
3). Costco sells a giant insulated bag (found near the TP/dog food) for $8.00, which is I transport for sometimes more than 2hrs with live crabs at home
4)  Cook at beach sounds good to me if you're organized. I've found that the 2 hr drive home is extra rough when there's gear to be dealt with along with cooking crabs.  For example: Landfall, then fire up kettle for steaming (less water, better taste, faster, healthier), crack a beer, start breaking down gear, throw crabs in, 15 minutes steam time & break down gear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I love the frozen orange juice bottles of water. I could go on 5 day trips on the east coast in 95 degree weather, cooling new drinks every day and still have plenty of ice left.  Given I use my pelican cooler for those trips. 

I like the idea of the burlap for when the crabs are in the hull.  nut sure I could pull the bag of crabs out though.  I normally shove them in the round slot between my legs in my Hobie.  Guess I could bag them and then put them in the front hatch when I'm staying on the water. 

I've been wanting to cook them on the beach my buddy has a cooker and has mentioned it but I don't have the gear out here.  I have to boil the crabs one at a time back home. 

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
All great info. The insulated bag interests me....especially at that price. I need to look next time I'm there.

Ice chest with frozen bottles (I keep plenty in the freezer already).

Wet burlap over the top.

I'll probably cook (hopefully) when I get home. Will keep the wife happier to be home earlier.

I'm good to go! Weather looks good as well!!!

Traps are rigged, VHF is charged, rods are ready. Just need bait and some luck.

Not to drag this thread on longer than it needs to, but any preference on launch ramps? Doran looks closer, but Westside seems easier. My kayak is staying home on this one, as the buddy I'm going with is boatless. I'll be in a 16' Lowe. The plan is to stay within a short run to the mouth of the harbor, weather depending. I have spent a lot of time in the Bay and Delta hunting and fishing and respect the hell out of what wind, current, tide, and swell can do in the snap of a finger.

I truly appreciate all the info. I'll be sure to follow up with photos; good or bad!

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
What about NOT getting crabs home?  My wife has not forgiven me for the last time I brought crabs home.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I keep my crabs in a burlap bag OTW. Yesterday I put the bag in a ice chest without ice and drove home to Vacaville from HMB. I rinsed my kayak and gear before opening the ice chest. All the crab were still alive and kicking. I'm not saying this is the way it should be done, but they do live a few hours no problem.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
A pillow case works better than burlap IMO.
Too many pointy things on the crab gets caught in the burlap. Not so much in a pillow case.
<=>

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I keep my crabs in a burlap bag OTW. Yesterday I put the bag in a ice chest without ice and drove home to Vacaville from HMB. I rinsed my kayak and gear before opening the ice chest. All the crab were still alive and kicking. I'm not saying this is the way it should be done, but they do live a few hours no problem.

Yeah, my experience too.  And I sometimes wonder if ice hurts.  I mean, they are not used to living at those temps.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
These were pulled first thing yesterday, sat in the open on a boat all day while we pulled in a few rockies and lings, went into a burlap bag and into an unchilled cooler for the ride home, and were still alive and kicking at 3PM when they went into a steam bath.

-Allen