Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:39:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:24:53 PM]

[Today at 02:05:51 PM]

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 01:14:39 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: First time crabbing on kayak help  (Read 2533 times)

daguy80

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
I will be camping out at lawsons landing next weeked and I am planning on taking my hobie outback out in Tomales bay for crabbing.  This will be the first time that I am taking my kayak out to saltwater.  Any tips on what I should do and things for me to look out for?  Ideas of where to drop the pots?

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
The better crabbing grounds are outside the mouth and in Bodega Bay.  However, I'd be very weary going out the mouth, as the sand bar there can produce surf and waves.  Since you're a salt newbie, then I'd stay inside TBay.

Inside Tomales Bay, crabs can be found near the Lawson's pier, out right in front, and all the way into the Bay towards Hog Island.  You may need to do some trial and error to see where the crabs are.  Soak your pots for an hour at first, and see which ones are producing.  Move your pots to the better producing areas.

daguy80

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Yea still a newb so not planning on going any where near the mouth of the bay heard a lot of bad stores there.  How is the current in the bay?  Anything to worry about current wise?

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Don't go alone, dress for immersion and know how to self rescue
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Yea still a newb so not planning on going any where near the mouth of the bay heard a lot of bad stores there.  How is the current in the bay?  Anything to worry about current wise?

Make sure to check tides and wind conditions for the day you're going.  The currents in the main channel in Bay can be strong on large tidal days.  Wind generally picks up in the afternoon from the NW, so plan ahead.  If you stay near Lawson's pier and the clam beds, then you should be fine.  There is still some crab to be had not far from shore.

Tinker

And one pot is all you need the first time out.  They're tricky little bastiches and eager to see you in the water with them.  One trap, not two or three or...

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Don't do it alone.  Go with an experienced crabber first time. 

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Blow off Tomales and hit Doran. It isn't that far of a drive.
It is the primo place to learn and get something for your efforts.
Doran is way safer and I'm sure there will be others out there as well.
Learning to deal with the current, wind, pulling traps, rope, seaweed, snags, and separating your catch (should you get something) is something yo want to do in the most favorable environment.
Always better to have a great experience the first go around rather than a bad one.
<=>

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Carry a knife on the PFD that you can grab with either hand and that will easily cut the rope to your trap. Just in case some jackass runs over your rope and wraps it in his prop while the rope rests across your lap and the other end of the rope is attached to a heavy pot stuffed with crab suspended somewhere between the bottom and your kayak. Better to lose a pot than a limb.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Carry a knife on the PFD that you can grab with either hand and that will easily cut the rope to your trap. Just in case some jackass runs over your rope and wraps it in his prop while the rope rests across your lap and the other end of the rope is attached to a heavy pot stuffed with crab suspended somewhere between the bottom and your kayak. Better to lose a pot than a limb.

To avoid this nightmare, but totally possible, scenario I try to keep the rope off of me when pulling up the pots by letting the buoy side go back into the water as I pull up a pot. Lead core rope helps here because it sinks out of the way. I also keep my ropes in neat coils before and after use by wrapping two short scrap pieces of copper wire around the coils, like free gear ties. Untangling ropes on a kayak is a pain in the a... As already pointed out, Doran is a great place to start. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

daguy80

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the help guys.  I have been to lawsons landing a few times but never in my kayak, the water doesn't seem to be too bad.  I have never been to doran before.  I would think that a protected bay would be safer than going out to the the unprotected beach at doran. 

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
...and bring a VHF radio. Have fun.  :smt006

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Blow off Tomales and hit Doran. It isn't that far of a drive.
It is the primo place to learn and get something for your efforts.
Doran is way safer and I'm sure there will be others out there as well.
Learning to deal with the current, wind, pulling traps, rope, seaweed, snags, and separating your catch (should you get something) is something yo want to do in the most favorable environment.
Always better to have a great experience the first go around rather than a bad one.

^^^THIS

+2
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

fishingsowong

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
That’s not Doran beach. Doran beach is inside  Doran Park, which is located about 45 minutes drive north.

I heard the go to bait for crabs at Lawson landing is mackerels.

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
The water at Tomales moves really fast. I would hit Doran Beach if it is your first time.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

anything