Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Gearing up & Rigging suggestions  (Read 2147 times)

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Greetings all, I'm sure there are many of you who may have suggestions to point me in the right direction. I've upgraded from an inflatable yak I used a couple times last year to a nice 2006 Outback.

I'd like to get some ideas on rod placement, Fish finder mounting and general gear stowage. I plan on mostly using it for ocean fishing in Sonoma and Mendocino counties. I'm upgrading to turbo fins and have purchased a Garmin Striker 4DV and Trax 2-30 beach wheels for easier launching in the sand.

I plan on fishing more and have a bit of ocean experience. Last year in my Coleman Colorado Inflatable yak I fished with some friends out of Ocean cove in a fishing tournament between friends and pulled out the only salmon in 2 days (wild 17.5 lbs and inspected by F&G) and the largest Ling but was bloody tired after paddling quite a long way. I never felt really safe in the inflatable and knew I needed a Hobie with a mirage drive if I want to go farther off shore or farther away from my launching area.

how do you all carry your gear and supplies and where do you put them? Do any of you carry tackle boxes and coolers or both? I plan on bringing at least to ocean setups and a net.

What about clothing to stay warm and dry? Do you have any suggestions on making your own gear or where to find what you need? One thing I think I'm seriously lacking is tethers to keep gear in the yak. I need them for paddle, rod's, the mirage drive fishing gear and all the tools I'll carry, what do you use? I'm not sure I want to buy every item Hobie makes and suspect there may be alternatives that could be as good or better for less.

If any of you are around Santa Rosa and wouldn't mind sharing examples or showing me what works I'd be happy to come by or show you what I have.

Thanks,

Gnarley

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Welcome.

After you reach 10 posts a lot more of the forum opens up to you and answers to all these questions, and more, will be at your fingertips.  Just requires many hours of reading but well worth it.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
You won't regret getting a Hobie.

As FishingForTheCure mentioned, all of these things have been discussed at length. Its definitely worth spending some time looking over some of those posts.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

VK

What Bill said ..lots of info here ..take your time ; read ; ask ..and welcome

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

Renatboot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
I'll be watching.  PA and Outback to outfit!
Looking at downrigger mounts.

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I'd spend the first several months using the kayak before spending huge amounts of time rigging.  It's not till you have the time on the water that you can fully know or appreciate the proper rigging locations to suit your needs.  Just a thought.

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome.

After you reach 10 posts a lot more of the forum opens up to you and answers to all these questions, and more, will be at your fingertips.  Just requires many hours of reading but well worth it.

Well, after being a member of many other forums, technical IT, RV and boating I hope to read less and get better direct feedback based on good questions. As I've learned many times there are answers out there, however depending on how you search may or may not yield the results you were looking for.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Welcome.

Well, after being a member of many other forums, technical IT, RV and boating I hope to read less and get better direct feedback based on good questions. As I've learned many times there are answers out there, however depending on how you search may or may not yield the results you were looking for.
Keep in mind that there are also questions that have been asked 100 times and yours will be 101. Try the search and you will get lots of good info. Welcome to the madness.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
One word of caution if your plan is for those areas.  It's gets foggy there.  Real foggy & fast at times.  The Garmin Stryker does NOT have any map on its GPS.  It's merely a "blank page" with a trail of where you have been.  I'd take a little time & compare it with a unit that offers a better featured GPS.  I'd look & compare it with a Lowrance Hook 4 or 5 or even a Lowrance Elite CHIRP 4 or 5 since the Elite chirp series is last year's model there are some good deals to be found.

Sorry, just reread that you already purchased the Garmin.

As for my other statement, FF mounting rod holder placement, rigging, etc I'd suggest the paddle time before drilling.  Each user is different based on their style, etc.  What works for one is inconvenient for another.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:30:20 PM by FishingForTheCure »

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I'd spend the first several months using the kayak before spending huge amounts of time rigging.  It's not till you have the time on the water that you can fully know or appreciate the proper rigging locations to suit your needs.  Just a thought.

I'm not sure how much rigging I'll actually need to do but was putting it out that I was open to suggestions. I've seen a few video's about crates and that seems to be a big variable to personal preference. I want my rods and net close by but I also don't want to impede my ability to pedal or paddle with a rod holder in the way.

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Pool noodles are very popular for rod and net floatation vs leashing.  The consensus is that fewer leashes = fewer potential tangles.

Since you have a Hobie, you can place most of your tackle into the center hatch gear bucket.  Otherwise, a lot of folks use a Plano box strapped into the rear well to hold gear.  It's more compact and you're less likely to lose everything if you end up rolling versus a milk crate.  Plus with the crate, you tend to bring more gear than you really need on the salt.

A wet burlap bag works fine for keeping your catch fresh in the rear tank well.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

moon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Welcome. That's a big jump from a Colman inflatable to a Hobie. It sounds like you have a lot of experience in the fishing side of it. Hope to see you out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
moon

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome. That's a big jump from a Colman inflatable to a Hobie. It sounds like you have a lot of experience in the fishing side of it. Hope to see you out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured the investment over the long haul of ownership was worth the price. The funny thing is the Coleman felt more stable, perhaps that's because I sat lower in it. I should be able to go much farther and be safer in the Hobie in the long run. I just am not sure what to wear in the ocean and stay dry.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:05:37 PM by Gnarley »

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

Welcome to this site.  Lots of information here.  Glad you got a Hobie. I'll caution you now if your not already aware of this issue.  The drive well (Where the drive rests) is notorious for cracking at the back side of the well.  I've replaced 2 hulls for this issue (Both warranty replacements fortunately) my 08 OB hull was redesigned to eliminate that problem.  The problem is the hull thickness where the drive actually sits.  The hull is very thin and having no support inside the hull beneath the point where the drive rests, the pressure caused during peddling causes the area to stress crack. 
  I ended up using a whole lot of hot glue and built up a support for the hull by filling in the area under the drive rest.  The picture shows the area (This is my 08' hull with area fixed) I built up.  The shot is in my 08' hull showing the area reinforced from factory.  On earlier hulls those  area's are open and not supported.
  Hobie had a "Reinforcement kit" available that included a fiberglass support and epoxy for those areas.  Not sure of its availability now. 
    Please watch those areas closely (The cracks can bees seen with a flashlight from inside the hull. 
  This was/is my only complaint about the OB. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:52:20 AM by CGN-38 »

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

anything