Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Malibu Extreme - Nothing Special  (Read 5472 times)

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Don't know if these pics are posted correctly...I'm not much of a computer guru, but here are pics of my extreme with a scotty rod holder and my fish finder installed.  Big thanks to Sean (scwafish) for the article, wire seal, and battery holder.  I made the power supply just as his article says.  I put velcro down to hold the power supply container in place.  Don't know how long the glue on the velcro will hold, but it has worked out great so far.  It's nothing special, but I'm stoked to have this fishing machine.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Cool boat.  I have always loved that color of MK blue, I wish they offered it in other boats.  Did you remove the foam under your transducer? 

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Nomad~
That is one nice set up and one SWEET camera.Love the pics.  Great idea of mounting your camera too.
<=>

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Did you remove the foam under your transducer?

ummmm....no.  I roughed it up, and the fishfinder worked ok when I had it out the other day.  What is the best way to remove that foam?

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
You need to remove the foam I cant belive it even worked without it.  I used a dremel but it created a destorsion in the botom of the kayak from getting too hot.  my boat is set up very simaler to yours except that the the rod holder and fishfinder are reversed I even used the same rodholder.

BigRed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Hey, I'm in the market for a new kayak... it's down to (maybe) next years Prowler 15 (assuming they fix the damn footwells, etc) or the eXtreme. 

Quick question on the eX...  I just paddled a Tarpon 160i and it was FAST but sorta unstable when compared to the Prowler.   How do you find it and can you compare it to the Tarpon or other fishing kayaks I might know?

Thanks!
Joel M
Big Red Tandem
OK Malibu II XL

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm brand new to kayaking, but I have never felt unstable in the extreme...well except in the surf...I haven't paddled any other yaks, but I am very happy with mine.  Maybe scwafish would be a better person to ask.  The only drawbacks that I have noticed so far is that the extreme doesn't have the best layout to mount rod holders/fishfinders/etc.  It is a little on the heavy side as well.  I haven't raced anyone but I am think it is a quick enough boat.  I'm sure the lack of any sort of keel and it being 31" wide may slow it down some.

On a separate note, I just re-mounted the transducer in the center scupper hole...works like a charm!  Pics to follow.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nomad - I would have moved that fish finder higher up the yak's deck - if you ever catch a halibut or even a big sturgeon, and you try to bring it on board ,(to secure) that FF looks like it will get in the way. I like like keeping the space between my legs free of any clutter for that reason alone.

Just my opinion....

Congrats on your new ride - hope to see you out there soon!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 04:11:49 PM by Mooch »

Nomad

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That is how I get Murphy to work in my favor.  If I had a clear deck, I wouldn't catch any big fish.  That's also why I never go back when I forget the camera...even if I am just pulling out of the driveway.  Two can play this game.

Travis

Nice boat!  That blue does look nice.

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Nice job I like the cross bar for the scotty. I have basically the same setup.  except I like green.

anything