Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trinidad rockfishing 7/2/13 - monster cabzilla inside  (Read 1447 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
My college buddy Dave and his family were in town today.  i have only texted/IM'd him over the last couple years thanks to facebook - I hadn't seen him since the mid '90s.  He has expressed an interest in kayak fishing, so I was eager to get him otw and on the fish.

We met at the launch at Trinidad at 5:30.  Otter was there heading out for some rockfishing also, but was loaded and ready to go.  I went over some of the lay of the land with him, and bid him farewell and good luck.  His report is elsewhere in the forums - he went outside and limited on salmon.  So much for rockfishing.  :smt044

Dave and I headed out to prisoner rock and dropped a crab trap, then headed out north of the head fishing our way inside and north up nearly to Green rock.  Dave picked up a barely legal ling which was released to grow up some more, I picked up a 13" black, and we went spot to spot until the tide turned about 9am.

After the tide turned, the strikes picked up.  We headed outside and north of flatiron to an area that produces pretty consistently.  Before too long Dave was BENDO, picking up a 34" 13.5 lb ling.  Not bad for his first keeper from a kayak - and a sure fire trip directly to the Madness, Do Not Pass Go Do Not Collect $200.

The drift picked up so I switched over to a heavier 3 oz leadhead and a B2 squid.  Shortly I got hit HARD.  It took everything I had to keep it out of the rocks.  I thought I had a big ling.  After a few runs I got him into view, and it was a huge cabezon!  I got him in the net and on the board - 26" and 11.5lbs on the handheld scale.  When I got him home it was 25.5" and 12 lbs, a monster!

Shortly after getting the cab it was time to call it a day for Dave.  He was turning a bit green and the ocean was getting a bit washing machine agitator cycle on us.  On the way back in we saw something a bit odd and unsettling.  There was a large sea lion acting in a very bizzare manner.  It was flailing on the top of the water near a wash rock, making strange movements and noises.  I also thought I saw a shark dorsal fin at the edge of the nearby kelp bed, but couldn't be sure.  It was spooky anyway.

We got back to the launch at about 11:15 where we met his family.  I filleted out his fish for him, sent him off for a day with the family, switched over to salmon gear and headed back out.  I went to the whistler and trolled around a bit for not a scratch.  The ocean was growing nasty and the wind was picking up so I headed back in.  Checked the crab trap for one legal male, one legal female (released) and a bunch of small ones.  Dave met me at the launch, helped load up, took the crab for his Trinidad seafood feast and headed back to the rental house.

All in all a great day otw and maybe a new bro in the Santa Rosa area who will be gearing up and joining the Madness!

Dave and his son Erik with his catch:

Cabzilla:

Stomach contents of the cabbie:

WooHoo!!!
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Congrats on one fat cab and thanks for the report.

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Nice job Doug and Dave! WTG! The sharktales would make anyone feel unsettled. Be safe and tight lines! :smt001
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Philiam

• Sand Dab
  • fish /surf / wheel
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
wow, nice fish.  grats!

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Nice report and way to take your old buddy out to score.  That is a trip he will never forget.

Shark fin, wierd acting sea lion= Makes me nervous.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Wow, that cab is a monster, Great report, Thanks for sharing.

Humbletaxi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2013
That cab is a monster congrats. Hope the rockfish bite is picking up!

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Fantastic cabezon, Doug!  Congrats and way to get your buddy Dave on the fish.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on the Cabzilla! Thanks for the report and pictures Doug.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Awesome report Doug!! You guys killed it for sure!

Judging from the photos that cabzilla was a freaking eating machine! Great variety in there too! :)

I imagine your buddy has the disease big time now!

-Eliot

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Another pic of Dave's ling:

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
WoW almost as big as the kid in that pic...Great report and nice introducing your buddy to the Maddness!!!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk 2

It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome