Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: To wetsuit or, not to wetsuit?  (Read 2837 times)

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
As others have said, it's a must. Just this year someone out at Ocean Cove went for the inevitable swim and was so cold he had to be roped onto the deck of a boat. In and out of the water fairly quickly but he was hypothermic within 20 minutes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
If you go for a wetsuit, the thickness is a matter of preference as long as it's at least 3mm. I use a 4/3 or 5/4/3 suit when I surf, and it keeps me pretty comfortable for several hours as long as I keep moving and keep my blood flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Who do I see to install a relief zipper?

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I wear a NeoSport pants that are 1.5 mm and a older Scuba pro top that has mesh sleeve but torso is neoprene. Yes they are warm water clothes.
Neo sport pants comes in sizes up to 3 xxL to that really help
I wear pants a size larger for comfort. Yes they stretch but ankle and waist are tight so if go in still protected.
Biggest question you have to ask your self is were are you paddling? Water temp?
Ocean plan 50 deg air temp 60. Delta 65-70 deg and 90+degress out aprox.
Also available are what is refered to as semi dry wet suits that will be more comfy than standard.

I think its all about odds. and experience, conditions, and equipment combination.
Is your kayak tippy? Then odds go up you will spill sooner. Some of the barges being sold as kayak for fisherman are very hard to tip.
Take what you have to a pool and see what it takes to spill. and also practice your self rescue
Dont wear waders. they fill with water and make self rescue VERY HARD

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

I used heatwave custom wetsuits in santa cruz.  I shipped it to them, 75$ total cost including shipping back to me. Not cheap but essential.

I've never been able to find anything thicker than a 3mm with a relief zipper off the rack.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Get the right one and you don't have to worry about relief zipper.  Here is one that's a good deal:

https://www.rei.com/product/832802/nrs-30-farmer-john-wetsuit-mens?CAWELAID=120217890000807362&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16033104040&CATCI=pla-287972715261&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_37157|8328020005|none|7e25061d-dfdf-4e85-bba1-7d52de10238c|pla-287972715261&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_37157|8328020005|none|7e25061d-dfdf-4e85-bba1-7d52de10238c|pla-287972715261&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sPF27nw1QIVAwxpCh3TOwa1EAQYASABEgJTufD_BwE

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Like others said, you need to dress for immersion so you are prepared for the inevitable swim that will happen at some point.

PAY ATTENTION!

This is the straight scoop, ask any OG

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bullet

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Be sure to check out http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=38111.0

This is a subject that has been discussed at length several times, I'm not gonna suggest you use the search function, cause that might just be counter productive, or maybe you'l find one of those threads who knows.

But, ya gotta dress for immersion, it's a safety thing not a comfort thing, if it was a comfort thing then you could just pass on it.

As to what margin of safety you need is where the differences of opinion really come in.  Many members think that a 3mm suit is good, a few of us don't think that's enough. Some of the comments I've seen about going thicker tend to say you're crazy if you go thicker that 3, but those comments too are about comfort, not about safety. Thicker suits are hotter, no getting around that.

There have been instances (very few to be sure) where, for a variety of reasons, yakers have ended up being in the water for long periods of time, luckily they lived to report it here. A 3mm is great for a quick dip and remount, but would be dangerously inefficient (IMO) if you had to be in the water for an extended period.

I wear a 5mm FJ with a 2 mil front zip tight neck surf style wetsuit jacket. And I, have a new 7mm to replace the 5 but haven't used it yet, just got it back form having the relief zipper put in.
Where did you send it to het the zipper put in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"That's what."
              -She

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I've got a surf wetsuit that I'll don until I figure out what is the best set up for me. 

I have dumped out of my yak once already, but the cold wasn't really a problem until I was back on shore where I started to shiver pretty severely.  Lost one of my fish, and a Spyderco PM2 that my brother gave me.  All and all a bummer outing.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Sometimes I get pretty cold back on shore (or maybe all the time on the water just finally catches up to me) so I try to have a warm dry set of clothes on the front seat of the truck and get changed out right away.

I suggest you invest in a drysuit like the Kokatat Angler Drysuit.  Off course layer accordingly inside.  They are pricey but worth the money for the comfort you get.  I've never worn my 3 mil. FJ wetsuit after owning a drysuit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:21:02 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Any wetsuit repair business will be able to help out. I had my installed at a place called Blown Out wetsuit repair in Santa Cruz. She is a nice lady who has been doing wetsuit repair there for decades. I think she charged me around 25.00. What size are you, what's your height and weight? I am just getting ready to post my NRS farmer john 3mm with relief zipper. It does not fit me anymore, otherwise I would keep it. Send me a PM-(personal message) on this site. Mike

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
My two cents-
I have used a full 3/2mm surfing wetsuit for kayak fishing in my early days and hated it. I got too hot, sweaty and almost impossible to pull down on the kayak, so I had to hang over the side and pee inside. I like using a 3mm farmer john with a two way zipper, the zipper zips from top down and bottom up, so you can pee. I add a synthetic top with built-in pullover hood that I wear on the outside for more comfort. I know some guys that wear them on the inside too, that's fine, but again I get too hot, so for me I choose on the outside. I also use 4-5mm neoprene booties with a fairly rigid sole for peddling the Hobie. I carry a pullover paddle jacket with hood in case I need to adjust if it gets too cold or windy. Over decades of surfing and paddling the California coast, think that the 3mm is sufficient for limited immersion time. Many have commented that they like 4,5, and 7mm, and I agree that this is the safer way to go for extended time in the water, especially further north, but with much less comfort when paddling distances. I added in the Kokatat semi drysuit into the mix with the neoprene neck and gasketed wrists. I wear synthetic tops, bottoms, and socks with this too wick sweat and keep me as cool as possible since this suit is a baker for me. Unless its cold and nasty out, I find this suit most useful for early season, late season, rainy days, and when it's sporty out there, otherwise it's too hot for me on sunny and mild days. If I were going to do it over again, I would get the new Kokatat hybrid that zips apart at the waist so that you can adjust to the conditions far more easily. Obviously, you should have a hat, sunblock, water, snacks, floating radio, pfd-adjusted correctly, compass, paddle leash, imo-a good knife, and know how to self-rescue should you fall out. Like most of us, continue to do your homework and go out with experienced people so that you can learn from them! Good luck!

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My two cents-

+100

Only thing I can add is that I've got the Kokatat Surge semi-drysuit (zips apart in the middle) and love it! The ambient temp has to get up to about 70 with little or no breeze and the sun beating down before it starts to get too warm. Pricey, but very nice...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

anything