Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting this off my chest! Kayakers vs. Boaters  (Read 8433 times)

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Coming off plane creates a larger wake, that is more likely to swamp or knock someone off their yak. 

+1 especially with the really big ass boats.  Just remember the 10% rule.  Given any group, 10% are saints, 80% somewhere in between and 10% a holes.  Doesnt matter, PB, truckers, cabbies.  I suppose even with yakkers if you cast a wide enough net the numbers would even to that.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I firmly believe that most boaters are respectful guys. However if you keep running into the 10% aholes  every damn time you go out it starts to get to you and your patience wears thin. When kayak fish I just want to be left alone with my buddies.

Regarding redrifting for wsb, the guys that  have been fishing with me do not fish by the pb because we know for a fact their noise puts off the bite.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
At this point in my fishing, it's about the experience, not the meat anyways.  I think kayakers are probably a more mature group as a whole compared to PB'ers.  We have worked past the stage of quantity and moved up to quality.  We look at the details as part of the whole experience instead of just the final result of fish taken.   We tend to be quite satisfied to fish where PB's are not satisfied until they catch.

Love this ...

-Allen

I don't really feel this is a fair generalization either.  I've met and seen reports from plenty of yakers that are all about the meat.  Some are super competitive and into whacking big fish from small craft.  Some take great pride in outfishing people with boats.  There's nothing wrong with it but the entire group isn't just about...just being out there to enjoy the experience.  I've met plenty of boaters that just love being out on the water, just because they're powered by an engine doesn't they're enjoyment is diminished or somehow valued less than a kayaker's. 

e2g hit teh hammer on the head with his societal breakdown.

Lost Anchovy....if you seek alone time.....the hotest bite in the bay area is probably not the best place to find it.  And the boaters being aholes....are aholes to everybody else in the fleet not just you.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I agree that most PBers are just like us, respectful, and just looking for a nice day on the water, but A-holes are A-holes, be it boaters or drivers or anything else. I prefer to distance myself from them if possible. However, I witnessed one Santa Cruz PBer in particular (CHANGE ORDER) that made a point of running through about a dozen of us intentionally. No reason, just an A-hole. Can't polish a turd.
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I agree that most PBers are just like us, respectful, and just looking for a nice day on the water, but A-holes are A-holes, be it boaters or drivers or anything else. I prefer to distance myself from them if possible. However, I witnessed one Santa Cruz PBer in particular (CHANGE ORDER) that made a point of running through about a dozen of us intentionally. No reason, just an A-hole. Can't polish a turd.

lol, even the boat name suggests that guy is probably difficult to deal with.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
I witnessed one Santa Cruz PBer in particular (CHANGE ORDER) that made a point of running through about a dozen of us intentionally. No reason, just an A-hole. Can't polish a turd.

I was on a bike ride in the SC harbor today and I saw CHANGE ORDER washing his boat.  I looked at him with a friendly smile and he just scowled back.  So it aint just kayakers, I think he hates everyone. 
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I like PB'rs , A- holes or not! As long as they still call me and tell me when the bites on :smt003 I lost a couple of them when they caught wind that i was NCKA :smt044

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Not all A-hulls are A-holes!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
At this point in my fishing, it's about the experience, not the meat anyways.  I think kayakers are probably a more mature group as a whole compared to PB'ers.  We have worked past the stage of quantity and moved up to quality.  We look at the details as part of the whole experience instead of just the final result of fish taken.   We tend to be quite satisfied to fish where PB's are not satisfied until they catch.

Love this ...

-Allen

I

I don't really feel this is a fair generalization either.  I've met and seen reports from plenty of yakers that are all about the meat.  Some are super competitive and into whacking big fish from small craft.  Some take great pride in outfishing people with boats.  There's nothing wrong with it but the entire group isn't just about...just being out there to enjoy the experience.  I've met plenty of boaters that just love being out on the water, just because they're powered by an engine doesn't they're enjoyment is diminished or somehow valued less than a kayaker's. 

e2g hit teh hammer on the head with his societal breakdown.

Lost Anchovy....if you seek alone time.....the hotest bite in the bay area is probably not the best place to find it.  And the boaters being aholes....are aholes to everybody else in the fleet not just you.

I've never met you Agarcia but I tend to agree with you on most of these controversial discussions. An ahole is an ahole no matter if they are on a boat or a yak. The boater can have more of an obvious presence but its really all the same in the end. Be safe out there you guys.

-Eliot

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
There is always a few in every crowd.  :smt013 Some people have class and some do not...it is very simple. :smt006
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
I also agree with Art on most issues including this one. Down in SCAL, I have run into some kayak anglers who were just as big jerks as the PB guys. I do agree with skipro that kayak fishing is more about the whole experience whereas PB fishing is more about catching. On long range boats, trolling in search of fish is called a "boat ride" and when it goes on for days is not a good thing. In kayak fishing the "boat ride" is a big part of the experience. I am a dedicated meat hunter so not saying the catching isn't important but if I don't catch anything, it doesn't mean I didn't have a great time. We are basically sitting in the water and a much different perspective than being in a PB. Not a put down on PB's but just that just making it out there and back alive and not swimming or losing tackle is a great day for me. In a PB you take a lot of that for granite.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Life's an adventure.  There will be no day like today.  It's about the journey, not the destination.  However you want to look at it...  For me, any/all of the above apply.  I'm just happy to spend a day in the water and make it home safe.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Love this ...

-Allen

I still love it Art.

But you probably also know that I don't support and "us vs. them" attitude when it comes to fishermen.  I am a fisherman!  I fish off kayaks.  I also fish off boats.

-Allen

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Just seems it's easier to recognize and respect the level of skill and the commitment someone took to get involved in the sport of kayak fishing compared to PB fishing.  There is more dedication to develop into a successful fisherman and perhaps even a different interpretation of what success is.  Because we do recognize that in other kayak fishermen, there's a level of camaraderie among us compared to the PB'ers who seem more adversarial towards each other.
I realize these are generalizations, but on the whole, that's how I see it.   

Same with other sports; Archery / Rifle hunting, dirt bike / quad, skiing / snowmobiling for example.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:22:37 AM by skipro3 »

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I was on a bike ride in the SC harbor today and I saw CHANGE ORDER washing his boat.  I looked at him with a friendly smile and he just scowled back.  So it aint just kayakers, I think he hates everyone.

maybe he just hates anything human powered?

As I continue to suck at fishing I have convinced myself the "experience" is what its all about. I must say the AI does offer some nice distractions.

-Eric Berg

anything