Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Chumming, fish cleaning from boats, Training great whites to Look at us kayakers  (Read 1384 times)

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Seems like there are more and more landlord drive by's lately? Every week there seems to be another encounter. More sharks? More people initiating encounters from powerboats? Time will tell... Don't feed the sharks! Glad they are checking us out instead of bumping first.  ;-) :thumbsup:
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I beg to differ, though there was someone on the radio at Shelter Cove when I radio shark! shark! He says I am surprise none of these guys got eaten yet.  :smt009 I was hoping he was joking but what do I know. I think the warmer water has factor on it.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I beg to differ, though there was someone on the radio at Shelter Cove when I radio shark! shark! He says I am surprise none of these guys got eaten yet.  :smt009 I was hoping he was joking but what do I know. I think the warmer water has factor on it.

There is a local that calls us "sharkbait".

He's kind of a dickhead.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I think we're seeing the effect of the marine mammal protection act. Prior to the moratorium on white sharks a number of big females were taken in CA, especially in the Ano area.
since the 70s and the MMPA we've seen shark pops cycle with pinniped pops, just a few years behind.
so we've got a slowly increasing number of sharks, plus a steadily increasing number of people enjoying the water. Its simple math. Gonna see more sharks.
the few I've seen have all been in the 10-14ft size range, which would make them basically teenagers/young adults and more curious about things they haven't encountered yet.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

There is a local that calls us "sharkbait".

He's kind of a dickhead.

Point him out next time you see him.
<=>

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm not sure you meant it that way but I'm fairly certain one cannot train white sharks.  I don't think our behavior will have the slightest effect on theirs.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
not train but, habituate, they return to certain places every year. learn to launch kill in Australia. they can learn and retain the=at learning as far as i know....
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Another thought,
There are many many more kayaks on the water than there were 10 or even 5 years ago.
Could it be that with increase of participation, there will be an increase of encounter?

Hobie Outback (dune)

Vermillion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Maybe it is the access to media. It gets posted here and hundreds of folks see it.
I grew up fly fishing in the Sierras, I think of sharks the way I think of mountain lions, if you see one that means that 100 have seen you before that.
Maybe it's polarized lenses? I often wonder if our sonar attracts any wildlife. Is it similar to what other echolocators use? Maybe we shold crank it up so we sound like an orca, that should keep the sharks away.
I know it's a matter of time before I see a big white shark, and at that point I will be glad for scupper holes, so all the piss can run out of the boat.

Be careful out there
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:05:57 PM by Vermillion »
I only fish on days that end with Y

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I'm with Yakhopper on this that the most probable explanation is an increase in kayaks otw.

Couple this with the nearshore water temps and resulting fish following them, we may have a few more present earlier in the season, and when the conditions are good there are more 'yaks out there to see each other.

-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

MattSwayze

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
More Whites is less seals, natural life, let it happen. It's not a bad thing. Enjoy your encounters as long as you don't get flipped!
aMayesing Bros.

Vermillion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
There has been more bait around than there has been in a very long time. The abundance of Krill translates to an abundance of the entire depth of the food chain. And of course more folks on the water means more opportunity for sightings.
I only fish on days that end with Y

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
More people bringing fluffy out for a float, pretty soon the top water bite will pick up. What pound braid do you need for a chatterbait big enough  to look like a poodle?
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
More Whites is less seals, natural life, let it happen. It's not a bad thing. Enjoy your encounters as long as you don't get flipped!

Less seals equals less whites!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Pacific

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Lets lobby for a seal season! The new aluminum bats work great!

anything