Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by &
[Today at 05:25:18 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Yet another post on importance of practicing self-rescue  (Read 2582 times)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I was not sure if I want to write it down, but perhaps it will help somebody. It seems like people flipping kayaks from time to time, obviously not everyone is writing about their experience, but I'm sure sometimes it's pretty scary. In my 1.5 years on kayak I personally was assisting in rescue 3 times, first time things would get ugly if I was not around (even with stabilized kayak it took 2 or 3 attempts to get on), and 3rd time I could not help.

3rd time was at Albion last week. I saw man in the water, in kelp, very close to the breakers / rock. About 110-120 yards from me (according to my GPS track). There were several kayakers who seemed to be a bit closer than I (though it's hard to assess distance on the sea), but apparently nobody saw him. I saw him trying to get on kayak and flipping again. I briefly transmitted over radio and started paddling.

100 yards in rough sea is a minute. By the time I got there it looked like he drifted even closer to the rock, about 40-50 feet from rock (based on GPS track). It did not look safe to get closer to him, but apparently he could not push the boat closer to me, so I moved in [...]  About 30 seconds later (per gps track) he was on kayak (partially?) I looked other way and saw rock in 2-3 yards from me and wave coming my way. With the help of adrenaline and luck I got away, looked back and saw him in the water again.

There was successful rescue mission after that, with power boat getting into the breakers and pulling man out. But first we saw kayak getting more water, standing vertically and sinking, and man in the breakers. Frankly, I did not expect power boat going into that water...

One thing I want to point is timing. It's hard to assess it (no surprise that my recollection was different than hard data), but I have data from GPS - at least 5 min in the water (assuming 30 sec before I started paddling). Of which 3 minutes in the breakers / on the rock. 

Lessons? I guess it's obvious and has been said many times, no need to repeat. Just remember that when you practice self-rescue (are you?) you probably are not doing it in 7-10 ft swell, 52F water, PFD and cramped cockpit - at least I did not... This time things could get very ugly. Frankly I feel there was lots of luck involved on that day (I for one feel I was very lucky I got away).

P.S. Video of rescue. Boat has arrived 1:40 ago (and I could swear it was 20 sec before he moved in - go figure..).

P.P.S. I would be interested in getting wet and practicing both self- and assisted rescue in semi-rough sea. Perhaps with alcohol and food involved after that. Let me know if you want to join.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
True, self rescue is a necessity. In this case, I think the issue was with (loss of) awareness of surroundings, though. Easy to do if you get into a bite and the drift is as fast as it was. The paddler got too close to the breakers and wash rocks. Once he was in there, there wasn't much he could do. My understanding is that he lost a small hatch cover and things went downhill from there.

That power boater deserves beer for life. I watched from a distance - he obviously knows the spot well but has balls and mad skills for going in there in those conditions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:20:40 AM by piski »
Catch & Repeat

VK

The person involved is an experienced kayaker/ diver ... and having chatted with him after the conclusion was things happen fast to anyone the sea does not discriminate and having  what experience he has may have saved him by NOT panicking ...

As the boat was leaving the cove there was a radio transmission I believe by ravensblack to flag him down ...I was in the boaters path and did so ; told him we had a kayaker in distress , the boater never hesitated just asked where and he was full throttle on his way

Things worked out ; my only .02 and speaking as an Old Navy Corpsman and EMT ..when someone says clear the radio traffic ,clear the frikken traffic/ transmissions

BTW the boat operator does not drink ; but a lifetime invite to the potluck might just be in order

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I thought whatever ncka member was relaying the radio traffic when things were going down did an awesome job, so thanks. That boat operator had balls of steel! As he came over one breaker he was vertical with the whole bottom of his boat exposed, my jaw dropped. For me, being close to the scene. I was surprised at how many in the area just kept on fishing, did they not know what was going down was actually near them? Not have a radio? I had a throw line but I felt helpless, all I figured I could do was stick around and help keep eyes on him until help arrived. I also have to say seeing several folks in shorts and t-shirts and others with no pfd made me not want to be anywhere near them. I resisted telling them their nuts being out in that slop unprotected, but I probably should have said something. I marked 49 degrees for a water temp Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:06:59 AM by Diroblo »
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I thought whatever ncka member was relaying the radio traffic when things were going down did an awesome job, so thanks. That boat operator had balls of steel!

that was solsrf on the radio, big thanks to him for his pro job on clearing radio traffic and keeping protocol concise, from beginning to end. we were south by salmon creek bridge - too far to respond, but definitely on the edge of my seat through that radio transmission. also talked to and thanked the rescuer while he was fishing near us, what a guy, said he knew the reef well and couldn't stand seeing one of us swimming - "I almost bottomed out my boat on those rocks" he laughed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:52:02 AM by novofish »
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

Hydrospider

But first we saw kayak getting more water, standing vertically and sinking, and man in the breakers.

"Cleopatra's Needle"   happens when the hull is compromised/flooding and there is no internal floatation.
It may not have been a question of being able to self rescue or not.

A good article on Cleo's needle and a boat recovery technique that could help if conditions allowed.
http://www.useakayak.org/recoveries_rescues/cleos_needle2.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:01:57 AM by Hydrospider »

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
There are three kinds of kayak anglers:
1. Those that have gone in
2. Those that are going in
3. Those that are going in again.

Conditions get bad and things go south fast, especially in conditions we had this weekend. Not dressed for immersion and no pfd on some people is just crazy. Knowing your limitations will save your life and the lives of would be rescuers. Judging your skills in comparison to conditions is key, the Sacramento Syndrome will get the best of you. We opted to sit on shore all weekend, granted I was sick but my son wanted to fish badly. He probably would have been ok, but I am not ok with "probably."
I am glad Sonny is ok, his boat is recovered, and everyone lives to fish again.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
A lot of things happened here that can be learned from. The first one is that Tupperware hatches suck balls.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
A lot of things happened here that can be learned from. The first one is that Tupperware hatches suck balls.

Yes they do
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Thanks for the post Sebast, and thank you for stepping up.

As a former whitewater kayaker & current traditional sea kayaker, basic safety equipment includes air bags or foam in the hull, period.  It distresses me that our SOT dealers don't hammer on this primary safety feature, and the CG ought to require every human-powered craft to have adequate floatation IMO.  Pool noodles are cheap and easy to shove down inside any of our boats.

Bravo for calm, cool heads!  This is the one tool we all carry with us on every trip, take care of it and use it!

Yes Sebast, I 2nd your comment RE practicing in rough seas, which should be fairly called real-world conditions.  I've been talking w/ another member here about this idea.  In the mean-time, folks will learn a lot by heading out w/ some friends, no fishing gear, and then practicing rolling off in Ocean water w/ 6' - 7' swells/waves.  It's easy to say that one is prudent and won't head out in those conditions, but then again Mother Nature has a way of changing up on us and a nice calm day becomes a hell day.  What then?

This practice is what keeps the head straight in those critical moments.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:28:44 AM by Scurvy »

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I thought whatever ncka member was relaying the radio traffic when things were going down did an awesome job, so thanks. That boat operator had balls of steel! As he came over one breaker he was vertical with the whole bottom of his boat exposed, my jaw dropped. For me, being close to the scene. I was surprised at how many in the area just kept on fishing, did they not know what was going down was actually near them? Not have a radio? I had a throw line but I felt helpless, all I figured I could do was stick around and help keep eyes on him until help arrived. I also have to say seeing several folks in shorts and t-shirts and others with no pfd made me not want to be anywhere near them. I resisted telling them their nuts being out in that slop unprotected, but I probably should have said something. I marked 49 degrees for a water temp Saturday morning.

I was one of the kayakers near him when he went in.  But when another more experienced kayaker radioed that it was to dangerous to enter into the dangerous water, I bailed thinking since there were at least two other kayakers on station, it was better to vacate the area and make room for maneuverability of the tin boat that was speeding to the scene.  Also, one of the first rules I was taught in Search and Rescue, if the rescue is outside your comfort zone and ability, don't add to the problem by attempting a rescue anyhow!

coop

• Salmon
  • View Profile Mojo Magic
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Glad you're alright. Crazy stuff there.
Aka Mark
Red Hobie AI
Yellow Hobie TI

http://www.mojomagic.com

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Thanks for posting on self rescue.  It reminded me to practice.  I practiced this weekend and learned some things I didn't have quite right.   

I have a knife on the front of my pfd oriented in such a way that in order to get it out of it's sheath I pull down.  Well...when I was climbing into the kayak the knife came out of it's sheath and fell into the kayak.  Luckily I saw it and avoided getting stabbed as I was climbing back in!  So now I not only keep my kayak deck clear but also the front of my pfd will be clear of things that can snag like my knife.  I also need to find a new place for my radio.  I have the radio in one of the pfd pockets and the antenna sticks out which could easily catch on something.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have a knife on the front of my pfd oriented in such a way that in order to get it out of it's sheath I pull down.  Well...when I was climbing into the kayak the knife came out of it's sheath and fell into the kayak.  Luckily I saw it and avoided getting stabbed as I was climbing back in!  So now I not only keep my kayak deck clear but also the front of my pfd will be clear of things that can snag like my knife.

Good point...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I see what you did there. Very sharp!

anything