Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Flipping PA/Outback right side up  (Read 1941 times)

Yakety_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Gday folks! I'm not sure where I should post this but being that everyone will be looking to read reports, I figured this could be a good place for everyone to see as this post could be very beneficial.

I've been hearing from people while out fishing for a long time now on how you can't flip a PA 12 or PA 14 back over once you turtle. If you are in the surf, I wouldn't recommend right siding a kayak due to the obvious reasons. However, when you are past the surf, in the bay, lakes, etc... you are not dealing with conditions of the surf and then why is it not possible? I constantly hear that the PA is such a huge kayak and it is impossible to next to impossible to flip it back over once you have capsized. In the video I am posting, I will show how to flip an Outback and a PA 14 back over. I am not a light person by any means. In fact, I am on the heavy side. If someone like me can do it, then many of you can as well.

The same thing I have done on the PA in this video you can apply to just about any kayak out there. If you don't have a place to strap up to on a kayak, you can always add some hardware to help for the situation I will be talking about on the video. I hope you enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:44:01 PM by Yakety_Yak »

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I appreciate your efforts in creating the demonstration, but I'd rather see the demonstrations in deeper water (when you're not standing).

Performing the activity while floating via pfd increases the realism and honestly shows how difficult or easy it is to reach over an Outback or flip a PA.

I also recognize that the pool size limits your movement space, but climbing back into a kayak from a near vertical position is much more difficult when you're floating than when your feet are touching the bottom.

Again, just my observations and I appreciate you posting a demo.

'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

mendomike

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
I really like that belt idea for flipping  the PA back over. Nice video.
I got 99 problems, and fishing solves them all!

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Nice garden and pool. :smt004
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
if only the idea of using a rescue strap/ladder had been thought of before.

Yakety_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I appreciate your efforts in creating the demonstration, but I'd rather see the demonstrations in deeper water (when you're not standing).

Performing the activity while floating via pfd increases the realism and honestly shows how difficult or easy it is to reach over an Outback or flip a PA.

I also recognize that the pool size limits your movement space, but climbing back into a kayak from a near vertical position is much more difficult when you're floating than when your feet are touching the bottom.

Again, just my observations and I appreciate you posting a demo.

eelkram.... I appreciate your constructive criticism.  I can assure you that the only time I was actually standing was when I was explaining something or to speed something up that was not crucial to the application of what I was trying to accomplish.  When I went to reach over the kayak to flip it back over or to get back on the kayaks, my legs were bent while in the water until I was working my way out and free of the bottom.  I made sure to do this so that it would emulate the demo as close as possible when out on the water. 

Where I live, it's hard to find a calm day on the water to do this and to find someone that will take the time to help video.  This was why I chose to do it in a swimming pool.  Rest assure though, the steps I have shown do work.  I don't mind doing the video again in the water but for the time it takes me to do it in the water, it's also time taken away from my fishing, lol. 

Thanks for your comments as I always appreciate feedback.  :)

I really like that belt idea for flipping  the PA back over. Nice video.

Thanks, that was my intention was to show that the PA could be recovered using the belt.  There isn't much out there showing that the PA can be righted after flipped.

I will let my buddy know.  It's his place I used for the demonstration.

if only the idea of using a rescue strap/ladder had been thought of before.

I think that is awesome as this is the first time I have seen this video!!  I wish he would of shown it with a PA though.  The fact that he took it an extra step and used it as a stepping tool was pretty nice. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:23:40 PM by Yakety_Yak »

Ghan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Thanks for posting the vid.  I like it when people post things about safety, I usually learn a thing or two because so many people on this board have been yak fishing for so long and share their knowledge.

A few more words of kindly constructive criticism if you don't mind.

I've flipped Outbacks, Revos and Adventures a plenty.  In 2 short years of kayak fishing I've become an expert at falling out of a Hobie.  :smt044
Sometimes in 56 degree water with 6-7ft swells.  For me, getting out of the water as quickly as possible with the least amount of energy expended is important.  Practice, practice, practice.

1.  Don't grab the fins - they're too floppy.  Grab at the base and you can easily pull the yak rolling towards you while your other hand grabs the far gunwale to finish the righting.

2.  Trying to re-enter with your legs hanging down below you is a waist of energy.  Kick or float your legs up to just below the surface behind you, get fully extended then give a mighty scissor kick while pulling the boat under you.  Do it too well and you can launch yourself over the other side.  Time it right and it will feel effortless.  It didn't look like you had enough room in that little pool to demonstrate that method.
Gary - Hobie Revo 13, AI
Never right side up or upside down.  Is this real or am I dreaming.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Aloha NCKA Bruddahs,
A few years ago, I flipped my Hobie Tandem coming in HMB with loaded crab traps. Another NCKA Bruddah that I met paddling in told me that I had to sort the crabs out before landing. I did not sort the crabs out because the wind was picking up and I had to get back to safe Harbor ASAP. My traps were already not well stacked.
Being a newbie then, I made PVC holders that fitted in the rear scupper holes to hold the 2 Danielsen traps in place.. Well, not thinking, I tried lifting the top trap out over the PVC upright holders and when it was too late realized that the weight of the full trap was too much and I was going in. When my Hobie was upside down, I realized that the hull was so wide I could barely get my body and hands over to the other side to right my kayak. I eventually was able to right my kayak and noticed that my hull was pretty flooded, probably from the front storage hatch.
After that experience I ordered 2 Waterbug Rescue Ladders that is permanently attached to the front and rear grab holders on the side of the hull. Now if my kayak flips, I can drape the rescue ladder across the hull and pull it upright and use the ladder to get back into the kayak. I also bought a hand operated bilge pump. I carry these items on my kayak at all times. Paddling a waterlogged kayak is pretty treacherous.
I want thank the NCKA Bruddah for posting the link for the Waterbug rescue ladder. I don't remember his name.

Here is their website address: http://shop.kayakselfrescueladder.com

Safety out in the ocean is no joke!!
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah (Michael)

Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I practiced several self rescue techniques on the ocean and prefer the "reaching under the kayak" method.  It's what works for me and I can do it fast.  Practice self rescue and figure out what works for you. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:27:53 AM by Str8FishiN »
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
+1 wish my backyard was like that
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I built my own rope ladder to flip my PA14.  It works great.  While the step works to get back on, I've found sliding up on the rear deck like a seal, demonstrated in the OP's video, is the easier way.  Too much 'stuff' on a PA to merely slip over the side and into the kayak. 

Thanks for posting your video!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I built my own rope ladder to flip my PA14.  It works great.  While the step works to get back on, I've found sliding up on the rear deck like a seal, demonstrated in the OP's video, is the easier way.  Too much 'stuff' on a PA to merely slip over the side and into the kayak. 

Thanks for posting your video!

Nice video. I don't own a PA, but re-entry from the rear deck definitely looks like the way to go on that model. I wonder how that would work on other models...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I used to carry a milk crate on the back of my PA14, but I don't any more just so I can use that back deck for self rescue.  Besides, I learned I don't NEED all that stuff.  2 rod/reels, enough tackle to fish iron, plastics and live bait and re-rig twice more if they break and some 'creature comforts' like water, munchies, etc. 

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I used to carry a milk crate on the back of my PA14, but I don't any more just so I can use that back deck for self rescue.  Besides, I learned I don't NEED all that stuff.  2 rod/reels, enough tackle to fish iron, plastics and live bait and re-rig twice more if they break and some 'creature comforts' like water, munchies, etc.
i would definitely think a stirrup entry would work best on a PA14 or any kayak with a higher side due to some sort of H rail or something like that.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green