Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: freshwater immersion protection  (Read 1177 times)

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Wondering what wetsuit works for freshwater depending on time of year?

I'm guessing winter would be ocean thickness or better (Sierra lakes) but is there a temperature guideline for
spring/summer/fall?

Kids and used wetsuits options?

Forgive my ignorance, but I grew up in SoCal and surfed year round in trunks or a vest as a kid.

I liked the farmer-john/jacket combo I tried when ab diving for cold, but would roast on Berryessa in Summer.

Thanks,

Mark

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I don't use any special immersion layers on Berryessa in the summer.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Kabe

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Freshwater in Cali is going to vary from needing a wetsuit to needing nothing.  It's all going to depend on the water.

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Is there a water temperature rule of thumb? i.e. water temp of 60 and less suit up as a safety guideline

I realize windchill will demolish any firm numbers but looking for a safe starting point.

Thanks,

Mark

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Is there a water temperature rule of thumb? i.e. water temp of 60 and less suit up as a safety guideline

I realize windchill will demolish any firm numbers but looking for a safe starting point.

Thanks,

Mark

For me it's also about the difficulty factor involved in exiting the water. I was fishing at Hell Hole Reservoir and the water was pretty cold. On top of that if you are in the middle you might have a half mile swim. You'd have to spend a lot of time in the water just swimming to shore. Then if you reach shore you might be confronted with a shoreline where it is impossible to exit the water. As you can see in the picture, those two in the canoe might have a problem if they went in the water.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Most of my fishing is in freshwater above 4,000 feet elevation.  From November through April, the water is COLD, oftentimes barely above freezing.  The air temperature is also very cold.  In these conditions, I shudder at the thought of wearing a wet suit.  The key is to keep your skin as dry as possible.  The safest option would be a dry suit.  Be sure to wear layers underneath, as the dry suit itself won't insulate you if you take a dunk.  I also highly recommend the Kast steelhead gloves if your hands are prone to going numb in cold conditions.
aMayesing Bros.

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I fish the Sierra in winter and I wouldn't consider wearing just a wetsuit as the water is usually in the 30s and low 40s.  I'll wear a drysuit in wet and/or very cold weather, and breathable waders when milder.  I have a range of polar-tec layers ranging from polar weight to silk weight and mix-n-match them depending on conditions under the drysuit or waders.  Hard to beat winter fishing in the Sierra!

Sunburned

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Cool pic Bird.  Looks like a "private lake" day :)

Are these diving drysuits?  We had survival drysuits in AK with attached gloves but I wouldn't want to fish in it.

How durable are drysuits compared to wetsuits? i.e. hooks, rocks ab diving/spear fishing

How does a guy match what to wear for insulation based on water temp?

Sounds like winter/summer set ups are needed (although salt seems routinely hypothermic <grin>)

Thanks for the info,

Mark

Angler

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
http://m.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Hydrus-3L-SuperNova-Angler-Paddling-Suit?gclid=CKeP8-7H780CFYqPfgodaOAIPw

This is a great dry suit.  With proper care it'll last several seasons of hard fishing-(100 day OTW personally and still going strong).  I use it in winter in the sierras and on the ocean too.  I wear more or less under it depending on temp.  I am yet to do a mid winter swim, but I always carry a spare set of dry 3 mil  neoprene gloves to "get me home" if I ever do.  Some folks do waders too.  It all depends on what you like to do. 
Take some, but save some for later.
1st Place Yakhoppers 2013 Delta Kayak Maddness (Striper Division)
Hobie Outback
WS Tarpon 120

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-supernova-angler-paddling-suit-dsuhsa

I use the kokatat suit as well.  Many other folks use the Kokatat Tempest pants and dry tops. Layering under based on air temps.  Have not gone for a full swim during winter, only waist deep.  I carry multiple pairs of gloves and stocking caps.  I'm very careful and deliberate in all actions to minimize chances of going in the water during winter. Also now using a Hobie AI with one aka/ama that provides a very stable platform, as well as all other basic safety gear.  When going solo up high in winter I usually file a plan with a friend so they know where to send help if I don't check back in. 

Alot of folks use the drysuits or Tempest pants/dry tops in the ocean as well.  There has been at least one recent thread on this if you search.

• "Being on the water...it replenishes my soul"
  • View Profile Urban Chicken Consulting
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Like others have said, it all depends on the water temp (not air temp) and how long you might end up being in the water if you capsize. NO matter what, it's always best to learn how to get back in your kayak and practice a few times a year on purpose :-).

I started out with a wet suit, which at the time, I was lucky enough to have NCKA sponsors for  :smt003. It was a super awesome gift that was very unexpected yet much appreciated.

Since then, my job/work has vastly improved and I invested in a dry suit. Love it, and it's not as restricting movement-wise. But dry suits only keep you from getting wet - they do not insulate you, so you need to wear layers underneath. I usually go with a thin synthetic blend as a base, then layer on fleece. This, in combo with the protection from actually being exposed to the water, will help me from becoming hypothermic if I capsize and can't get back in while kayaking or fishing in cold water.

Dry suits will still make you sweat -so the layers help with that as well. If I am in a sit-inside, I might not wear my top fleece but only the fleece pants under my dry-suit.

I have a pair of dry-suit pants, but I hardly use these. This is because if I did capsize and they filled with water (since they arent sealed at the waist), well, I'd be at the bottom of the ocean!!!! They would pull me down.

Kokatat has an awesome guarantee on their dry suits - another perk of buying their version. They are also in CA, up in Arcata.

-Cherie

:smt117
A.K.A. "Pikachu" (according to Rockfish)
2012 Eddyline Caribbean 14

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Another vote for the Angler Paddling Suit + insulating layers. It's MUCH more comfortable than a wetsuit, and much more versatile since you can layer up however you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VK

Kokatat and NRS make a some great products  check out their options..if you cant afford to go big right out of the gate ..choose what you can to provide the best options for  you .. I have a Angler Paddling Suit ,but vary the layers thickness  depending on the time of year and or conditions  ..am I solo or with a group ; salt vs.fresh .. fresh I dress differently with different gear ,summer vs. winter  . ...but always keep this in mind ..dress for immersion/ the worst case scenario. fail to plan ..plan to fail  ..just my .02 good luck with your choices ,VK

Crayon

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I use the Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Paddling Suit in the Ocean. In fresh water I determine what to wear by if I would want to swim in the water. If its to cold to swim for a half hour the suit goes on. 

anything