Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:14:05 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: In the Drink  (Read 2108 times)

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Part of kayaking, is getting wet. Sometimes, really wet. It is ok, it has happened to all of us, and it will happen to you if you kayak enough.

I recall the first time I went in the drink, unintentionally. It was Shelter Cove, GS4. I was not prepared at all. I thought I was, but I was not. I did not have a wetsuit on. I had hydroskin pants, and layers of shirts, topped with a hoodie under my pfd. By the time I got back in the yak, and started for the launch, I was cold and heading towards hypothermia.

This weekend, in the drink I went again. We were floating the American, and the San Juan Rapids got the best of me and I was bucked out of the seat and into the drink. My initial reaction was to panic, and I did for about five seconds. Then I realized, I am in a river, pfd on, got a hold of the kayak, I aint goin anywhere except downstream, and I will be ok. I didn't try self rescue on account of the eddie and moving water. I just held on and side stroked to get to shore. That was not working, the eddie was pushing me back into the middle, so I swapped sides and side stroked to the shore on the other side. Got out, stretched, and caught a bunch of shad.

The point is, unless you stay on a pond, there is a high probability that you will eventually, go in the drink. This is the time of year to practice, weather is nice and water is warm.

After seeing me go in, and as we were finishing our day floating down to the take out, my son started diving off of his kayak and swimming around. He is now proficient in self rescue. He is also familiar with  going in the drink with his pfd on.

Why is it important? Because knowing what to expect is beneficial in a crisis. Knowing what it feels like to flip and go under water with your pfd on is key. You float differently with the pfd than you do in swim trunks in a pool. Being comfortable floating/treading water with a pfd is what I think everyone should experience and be familiar with. It is not the same.

Once you are comfortable with being in the water, you will be more comfortable when the time comes to self rescue. When you are in a panicked state, you tense up and breathe faster, heart is racing. You expel a lot of energy, really fast. The more comfortable and relaxed you are, the easier it will be to climb back in your kayak. Erratic kicks and scrambling to drag yourself back in, only wears you out, and can make a bad situation, a lot worse.

For instance, if you flip in the ocean or river for that matter, and you are being swept towards rocks or breakers, you have a short window. If you spend it in panic, you are in trouble. If you are comfortable and prepared, you stand a better chance of quickly re-entering your kayak.

Just some food for thought, get out and have some fun, get wet, and go in the drink! Please though, save the drinks for later ;) 
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Good advice Rich!  It's been awhile since I've done some practicing.  I dread the day I end up going in during a sub-freezing winter day on the lake.

It's also a good time to start getting my kid used to it.  I think we'll give it a shot this weekend at the lake.

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I went in at San Juan right before Rich.
First thing I did was freaked then I thought hell in in a PFD so I turned my yak right side up and hopped back in on the first try.

Haven't self rescued in years. But was a cakewalk. I'm gonna take the yak back out and leave it empty and do it again.
Also learned a lot about my new yak, like how much water it takes on a dunk. Lot more than I expected. 
Was a greaT learning lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

surf12foot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Got my nephew a Frenzy Kayak 2 years ago and the first thing that I taught him was how to get back on it if he ever fell off(self rescue). After about an 1hr. he had it mastered and he was diving off the thing like it was a diving board. Fast forward 2 yrs., at the beach with him to play in some small kiddie surf with our yaks when some of is friends show up with mom and dad and a new kayak in tow. The parents had pfds. for them and let them get in the yaks and start paddling around when my nephew stopped them and asked if they fell out could they get back on it. The kids said no, so my nephew preceded to show them how. So for the rest of the day kids and parents learned how to self recue. Pretty dang proud of my nephew,Oh by the way he turns 7 end of this year.
Scott

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
Got my nephew a Frenzy Kayak 2 years ago and the first thing that I taught him was how to get back on it if he ever fell off(self rescue). After about an 1hr. he had it mastered and he was diving off the thing like it was a diving board. Fast forward 2 yrs., at the beach with him to play in some small kiddie surf with our yaks when some of is friends show up with mom and dad and a new kayak in tow. The parents had pfds. for them and let them get in the yaks and start paddling around when my nephew stopped them and asked if they fell out could they get back on it. The kids said no, so my nephew preceded to show them how. So for the rest of the day kids and parents learned how to self recue. Pretty dang proud of my nephew,Oh by the way he turns 7 end of this year.
I bet your nephew had fun teaching them, way to go :smt007
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
I went in at San Juan right before Rich.
First thing I did was freaked then I thought hell in in a PFD so I turned my yak right side up and hopped back in on the first try.

Haven't self rescued in years. But was a cakewalk. I'm gonna take the yak back out and leave it empty and do it again.
Also learned a lot about my new yak, like how much water it takes on a dunk. Lot more than I expected. 
Was a greaT learning lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My net busted the flush mount, I have to weld that up and resealed before I go back out. Have to dust off the old Prowler 15 for a while!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
My first time was about a mile and half out past the mile buoy in Santa Cruz. I was jigging and didn't get any sleep that night, launched at 5am.

I fell asleep and fell off my kayak into the ocean. I remember mostly being surprised then getting back in. It was easy and I lost nothing.

Earlier this afternoon I was in Shadow Cliffs and jumped in the water to swim a bit in my AI (only one ama). It was predictably easy to get back in. Mostly my dang dog trying to "help" me get back in lol.

I remember the time I was in SWS and the swells were 9' high. I was very uncomfortable because I had never practiced self rescue in my Trident 13 which is a lot less stable than my Predator 13. I didn't take a swim but that week I went and found out that the Trident 13 is much harder to self rescue than my Predator was.

I had to learn how to do it properly. Once I could safely get in and out of it, I felt much more confident even in turbulent waters.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great sharing here. 

I say if you don't know how to self rescue - if you aren't well ready for it - then you do not belong in this sport.

Period.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Great sharing here. 

I say if you don't know how to self rescue - if you aren't well ready for it - then you do not belong in this sport.

Period.
This^

Or leave the kayak in the backyard pool. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Excellent reminder.  I'll be on the water w/ the family tonight and we'll be practicing.  :smt001

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
OK I'll fess up here. I took a dunk off San Clemente island on the recent (6/26-28/16) 2.5 day Islander trip. I was trying to put a rod behind me in a priorly un-tested rod holder /mounted to a crate behind my seat, and over leaned. Did a slow roll and there I was= in the drink  :smt013

The Islander skiff was right there, and I had help from the skiff and other kayakers, but I seriously felt like I was in need of some practice and also need to lose some excess weight to pull this off solo. Lost my collapsible net and some lead in a box, everything else was floating or tethered. PFD was my personal salvation, but I am an old surf rat, and being immersed in water does not usually bother me. I've even been washed over rocks in the surf many times at Pleasure Point and Steamer Lane after ditching my board In a wipe out.

I do think I will employ a rope step on my yak for future off shore ventures.

Thanks for getting this topic started with your confession MontanaN8V.

Keep the hull side down.

I Zod Out
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:17:04 AM by I Zod Out »
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
good post, Rich, we need a vid of you getting back in or you cant play anymore ;)
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
Hell I am happy when I can just get out! With that comes calculating the conditions and being realistic with my capabilities that given day.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
OK I'll fess up here. I took a dunk off San Clemente island on the recent (6/26-28/16) 2.5 day Islander trip. I was trying to put a rod behind me in a priorly un-tested rod holder /mounted to a crate behind my seat, and over leaned. Did a slow roll and there I was= in the drink  :smt013

The Islander skiff was right there, and I had help from the skiff and other kayakers, but I seriously felt like I was in serious need of some practice and also need to lose some excess weight to pull this off solo. Lost my collapsible net and some lead in a box, everything else was floating or tethered. PFD was my personal salvation, but I am an old surf rat, and being immersed in water does not usually bother me. I've even been washed over rocks in the surf many times at Pleasure Point and Steamer Lane after ditching my board n a wipe out.

I do think I will employ a rope step on my yak for future off shore ventures.

Thanks for getting this topic started with your confession MontanaN8V.

Keep the hull side down.

I Zod Out

Islander Swim Team!

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
Islander Swim Team!

Practicing 50 miles off shore of the mainland.

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

anything