Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Should full membership require "self rescue" pics?

Absolutely. All members should.
10 (11.9%)
Yes, but only for new members.
0 (0%)
A good idea but shouldn't be required.
46 (54.8%)
This is a bad idea and will hurt the NCKA culture.
28 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 30, 2016, 02:45:00 PM

Topic: NCKA rite of passage  (Read 4887 times)

Hydrospider

Occasionally, I notice that a new member has made their introduction, then over the next 10 minutes, posts 9 or so greetings to other new members. Other than being sort of lame, this really isn't a big deal. But, it did inspire some thought as to what might be a better way for neophytes to gain full access to the site as a NCKA member.....

The NCKA has a history of members that have been tossed from their boats and have been unable to get back on without assistance. I believe that there may still be NCKA members who continue to go fishing in a kayak without knowing for sure that they can "self rescue"....

Both of these "issues" could be addressed by making it required to photo or video document your ability to get back on your boat. You really earn your membership and the NCKA is a "safer" place.
Im not sure if anything like this has been done in a kayak fishing forum/club.
It could be a cutting edge move and show that the NCKA supports a strong safety culture.

Im not sure if I want to suggest that current members should be required to show their skills but veteran support would certainly help promote what might really help someone out when IT happens.
I wasn't able to come up with any negative effects of this kind of membership req, but Im sure that someone will. Maybe something for the mods to consider, or not.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I wasn't able to come up with any negative effects of this kind of membership req, but Im sure that someone will. Maybe something for the mods to consider, or not.

One negative effect could be somebody failing this test and drowning in the process of getting self-rescue pics. I think it's everyone's individual responsibility to know their own limits, not that of NCKA.
Kind of a weird thing to make new members do, IMO.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I vote yes, all members, because I need the practice...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Renatboot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Full access would be nice

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Magic happens after 10 posts :smt002

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Magic happens after 10 posts :smt002

That's why new people post in 10 intro posts. It's not lame, the system is designed to make them post an intro +9 more times and it's totally rational and predictable that they would do it.

And of course people should not be required to demonstrate self rescue for membership. How may people sign up before they even have a kayak?  I did.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

PescaDONo

• Salmon
  • View Profile Timber Cove 3 day weather forecast - trihourly
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Prior to the conversation that's about to ensue, I like this idea.

However, I think the final decision should be made by the Old guard NCKA that have been successfully guiding this group to the amazing thing that it has become. Any voting by members should be simply to let those in charge know what we think.

One downside to this idea is that now people are automatically evolved to the next level by the software. This idea would require someone to manually change their status.

Perhaps one question to ask is whether or not we want to limit the rate of new membership. It seems like there's dozens of new people every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
 ~Roderick Haig-Brown, about modern fishing, A River Never Sleeps, 1946

Link to Timber Cove 3 day, tri-hourly weather
Lawson's Landing Fishing Report- Tomales Bay

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
At some level I think it's a hell of a good idea,

Maybe to attain some sort of site status, might seem juvenile but perhaps a merit badge (for lack of a better word) on your avatar, or not.

In reality I don't think it'll fly, for a whole litany of reasons, one of which, in some way it might impart or imply some responsibility on NCKA's part for members safety.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nope, PFD ownership and use mandatory, Nope. Grownups here. Enough rules and Bull shit out there. I'll take a libertarian slant on this one Me an Vermin supreme say no....
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I learned a lot here without even owning a kayak.  I thought the 10 post was to try and get people to participate and not sign up just to sell something.

I don't like the idea for folks to go out on their own and document self rescue just to join.  Let them learn from stories and videos and make an effort to self rescue with others who have done it.  Or post self rescue days and see who comes to practices with you.  That's a better way to meet new people more of what I have liked about NCKA.
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
Nope, PFD ownership and use mandatory, Nope. Grownups here. Enough rules and Bull shit out there. I'll take a libertarian slant on this one Me an Vermin supreme say no....
Ron, after watching that video, I think it's time you cut back on the SMOG checks!   :smt044

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
Self rescue, followed by paddling upstream for 100 yards, followed by a surf launch etc. etc........  Membership no.  Qualifying for someone's tournament maybe.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
That vermin supreme bit is completely hilarious and worth five minutes of your life.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Pompano120

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I'm sorry but we are all grown adults. we do not need to pass a training for "rite of passage". for safety it's good idea for oneself but for full access to a website? I disagree. Life is difficult as it.. I take my uncle to lakes and relax his mind to enjoy life outside from our day to day hectic work life. Sure he may not be able to self rescue but that's why i go with him and my friends. I assume all responsibility for him. Does this mean he can't access the info needed on this site because he is kinda old and can't self rescue?

now if this was a competition kayaking group then I can understand the logic.

AKfisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
probably true that a lot of new members don't have kayaks yet. I don't!