Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Downrigger ball size?  (Read 2342 times)

gtnotte

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Just started fishing with a Scotty downrigger on the Hobie Outback.  Tried some salmon trolling with a 4lb ball and wasn't quite happy with the line angle.  What do people like to use for optimal balance of not too much drag but also a good vertical angle?  Generally making around 2 knots when trolling

Thanks for any tips!

jkjhung

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I use a 4lb ball on the scotty laketroller and been pretty happy with it.  Did you change the wire out to braided line?

creamsoup

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
there are few tips i aware of
1. using thinner line (braided line with mono topshot is a good option)
2. not using dodger when current is strong

if those doesn't work, you can always use 6lbs or 8lbs.
2020 Hobie Revo 13 Papaya

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
4lb ball on the laketroller. 50lb depthhunter braid to my release.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
A heavier downrigger weight gets blown back less and stays more nearly under your kayak, so you can troll faster and deeper than you can with a lighter downrigger weight.  The Scotty Laketroller is only rated for a 4 pound weight.  On my Cannon Lake-Troll downrigger, I run an eight pound weight on 175 pound Spectra low-drag braided downrigger line.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:04:39 PM by pmmpete »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Did you change the wire out to braided line?

This! It's a huge safety issue, IMHO. There are often whales nearby, and if one of them gets into your DR line, you need to be able to cut it immediately, and that's not going to happen if its wire...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

gtnotte

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Thanks everyone for the helpful info.
I have the Scotty #1060 Depthking Manual Downrigger, so pretty sure it could run 6-8 lb.
And yes, after the extension handle was trimmed down a bit for ease of kayak use, the wire was swapped out for some heavy spectra braid.  I was using a dodger and current was reasonably strong at times, so good to consider both those factors when evaluating a switch.

Cheers!

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I am running a 1050 .I am using an 8# ball.It does real good for lakes. I have a 6# mold comming. It should be perfect for ocean salmon. I will have these for sale shortly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:20:26 PM by Twopatch »
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I use a Scotty 1050 on my Outback.  I cut the arm down to 11" and it works great.  I would make sure you have a sturdy mounting base for your DR when using heavier weights.  I use the this mount and its very sturdy.

https://www.snipeairindustries.com/product-page/snipe-air-industries-h19-s1010
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
 I use a 4 pound weight. I'd like to go heavier,  but my Compass only has the single track.  Even with the 4 pounder, the track wobbles.  Any ideas?

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I use a 4 pound weight. I'd like to go heavier,  but my Compass only has the single track.  Even with the 4 pounder, the track wobbles.  Any ideas?

Maybe exchange the plastic track with an aluminum one with backing?

Scotty does make some stronger mounts that you would have to drill into your Compass.  With a little silicone and backing plate, you should be able to handle the extra weight. 
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I use a 3# ball but am looking to switch to 4#
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Tall-Tails

I have tried a bunch of different weights and shapes. Still experimenting!

I just made two pipe style weights with galvanized steel pipe with lead fill. Coated in rubber for a corrosion resist. Those two are 3 lbs and about 6 inches long.

I also picked up two pipe style weight made of steel from Bottomline tackle (https://www.bottomlinetackle.com/). I requested 2 custom 2.5 pound weights which they promptly made for me in the shop. Great customer service at this place, and a willingness to make custom diameters, lengths, and weights.

I’m looking forward to trying them out, the pipe style is supposed to be good for bouncing bottom (which I do in several lakes). Hoping 2.5 lbs on 130 lb braided line will produce minimal blowback at depth, but we will see and report back results.

I paid $20 for two weights including shipping which I felt was a really good value. If these are too light, I’ll be purchasing a heavier set from BLT”
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:49:55 PM by Mother lode »

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I have tried a bunch of different weights and shapes. Still experimenting!

I just made two pipe style weights with galvanized steel pipe with lead fill. Coated in rubber for a corrosion resist. Those two are 3 lbs and about 6 inches long.

I also picked up two pipe style weight made of steel from Bottomline tackle (https://www.bottomlinetackle.com/). I requested 2 custom 2.5 pound weights which they promptly made for me in the shop. Great customer service at this place, and a willingness to make custom diameters, lengths, and weights.

IÂ’m looking forward to trying them out, the pipe style is supposed to be good for bouncing bottom (which I do in several lakes). Hoping 2.5 lbs on 130 lb braided line will produce minimal blowback at depth, but we will see and report back results.

They are cheap enough (under $10 per weight) I may buy another heavier set if these end up being a bit light.
Those look nice[emoji106]
I use a 3lb ball. I shove SS plate on it as a fin.
& I put the 200lb Scotty DR braid on top of the cable line. It’s 300ft, so never seen the cable since I put them on (even when I fish in Tahoe). Like others said the braid w/ reduce the drags, but I won’t get too thin ones though cuz lighter braid are hard on your hands when you’re working w/ some problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eksblenny

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I use this 4lb downrigger ball:

https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-4-pound-Flash-weight/dp/B000MN0JNS

You can easily find cheaper options. I got it because it had a bunch of reviews and was still less pricey than my local bait shop.

anything