Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: RPT - Shadow Cliffs lazy day 11/5/17  (Read 1301 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Didn't have time to prep for crab so I just hit shadow cliffs for a few hours yesterday. launched around 9am.  Tried trolling for a while but had no success.  Bait fishermen were killing them so I anchored up in the middle of the lake.  Didn't have much success, landing only one for a bit, but then I switched up my bait from the power mouse combo into a two garlic chartreuse power egg combo and started nailing them.  From around 11:00-1pm I landed 10 or 11, I lost count.

Most of the fish were CDFW trout, but they're nice sized overall, no tiny dinks like 7 or 8 inchers.  I had to keep one bleeder at 12 inches or so.  The rest were from 13-16 inches, two lassens were in the mix and had nice deep orange meat color.  DFG fish were orangish color.

Everyone else did well bait fishing.  Not sure why the trout weren't biting troll lures - the other guys out who were trolling also had no luck. Conditions looked ripe for it, recently a bit of a cold snap, a stiff breeze to break up the surface, no weeds.  The CDFW plants usually screw up the lassen bite for a few days as the fish are trying to adjust to each other.

Bite will continue to be limit style all through November.  Take a kid and have some fun!  I was going to take mine yesterday but wife had other plans.  Might be at it again next sat or sunday if the ocean forecast for next week is crap and some other stuff doesn't go my way.

SLBuilder

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Thanks for the report. Been awhile since I've been there. Sunday mornings were annoying with the swimmers and divers. Sounds perfect to bring my grandson next weekend.
Paul

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I was able to sneak out on Saturday 11/4 afternoon got there at around noon.  I surprised to see a long line of cars on Stanley Blvd. there was a big cross country running event going on. The place was completely packed. 

It took me about 20 minutes to get in and got to fish from 1 to 4pm.  I don't bait fish and got 4 trout - nothing big all trolling. 

When I was loading up, the bank anglers I talked to didn't do good.  One guy got skunked and another got one DFW planter and was there all day. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

When I was loading up, the bank anglers I talked to didn't do good.  One guy got skunked and another got one DFW planter and was there all day.
yeah the bankies have really struggled this year every trip i've seen.  the fish seem to be out in the middle a lot more than usual.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Thanks for the report.
"Not sure why the trout weren't biting troll lures - the other guys out who were trolling also had no luck."
Perhaps the fish are down deep?

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Thanks for the report.
"Not sure why the trout weren't biting troll lures - the other guys out who were trolling also had no luck."

Did they try the "fly"? ☺️

Thanks for the report Ben and Mel.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Thanks for the report.

Did they try the "fly"? ☺️

Thanks for the report Ben and Mel.
i actually did try trolling the fly.  one of the guys trolling is that guy with the three downriggers. he had two rods down deep and two on top - nothing for him either.  I didn't really feel there were too many on the surface, as usually i'll see some evidence of it, with puddling fish.  even after it got calm in the afternoon there were no fish nipping at the surface.  the surface bite may have picked up towards the end of the day but I was gone by then.

anything