Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HMB MBF Tourney Report  (Read 9107 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It was a great day on the water today with about 17 people fishing the tourney today. Great turnout!! We launched around 5:30 or 6 Joel, John, Sean and Chris headed out to try for some Salmon. We trolled south from the green buoy down to the red bouy. Joel hooked up with one shaker but other than that not much was going on. We decided to stop and fish some of the southern reefs and kelp beds. I landed and released a few small rockies, John had some rocks as well but again it did not seem like a lot of action. The good thing was that the radio traffic didn't indicate anyone else was catching much. We decided to troll back and try Mavericks. We ran into a lot of jellys between the south buoy and the green can bouy that made trolling difficult. About this time I heard one of the Socal boys (Ed) had a nice ling on board. Great! Socal guys come up and beat us at our own game  :smt003

I drifted around Mavericks for a bit and landed a few more small rockfish but nothing worth keeping.  It was about 9:45 and now I was getting really worried. I decided to head back and fish my way home. I would paddle for a few feet, drop down and pump twice. If I did not get hit I moved a bit further. That didn't help much so I decided to pack it in for the day. I started paddling in and passed a spot that I just had to stop by. I dropped down and WAM fish on! I could tell it was a decent fish as I pulled it up. It takes a couple of long runs before I get it near the surface. I could se it was the biggest ling I have ever caught. I let him float around a bit and scooped him into the net. YEEHAW!!!

Now I had to turn on the gas to make it back by 10:30, I started huffing and puffing and I hear on the radio Joel has a nice ling as well. Hmmm...

I huff and puff my way back to the jaws certain that I have a 1st place fish, worst case #2. Then I run into Ric from Cobra and Brian. I tell them I have a pretty big ling and Ric is like "Really, well Brian has the biggest one I have ever seen." I am thinking this guy isn't used to seeing bug lings so I might still have a chance. Then Brian lifts up his head. Holly Crap! It's head is about as wide as Brian's body, wow!

We make it back and weigh in, the final tally:

1st place Brian - 28 lb ling!!!!! - $340
2nd place Ed - 13 lb ling - Cobra power paddle (given to 3rd place)
3rd place Me! - 10 lb ling - Cobra power paddle from Ed
4th place Joel - 9 lb ling - Cobra highback kayak seat

I forgot my camera but I know a lot of pics where taken.

I want to thank Ric with Cobra Kayaks and Doug at Half Moon Bay Kayak Company for all there help putting on this very fun event. It was a blast and without them it would not have been half as fun!

I also want to thank all the participants for turning out and making this event a blast. There was a lot of information sharing going on and I know I picked up a lot of great fishing tips from everyone involved.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Ditto!  Even though our gamble of shooting for chinook did not pay off, we sure had a GREAT time.  The water was greasy, real fish got weighed, and the crew was awesome.  

Thanks a ton to Mooch for guiding us, and sharing his secret lunch spot. Really enjoyed the event.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile

Brian and his derby winning 28# LINASAURUS

Ed with the runner up

Chuck, Mooch, and Bill with their score for the day

The hungry post-derby clan at Ono Hawaiin Grill
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Great pics Chuck!

lingcodlon

Hi Bill,I'm having trouble trying to download the pictures from todays trip out of Half Moon Bay.Please give me a little advise on how to proceed with the post,Thanks and see you very soon again on the water.Had a great day with all on the water today also.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Hey... good work out there today guys... very impressive showing.  Heck of a ling there...

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Well guys looks like you had a great day, nice lings. i just wish i could of been there welcome to life of a chef steve
live life to the fullest!!!!

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
This is the only pic I took...the lineup.  Great turn-out.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
we sure had a GREAT time. The water was greasy, real fish got weighed, and the crew was awesome.
Yup... I AGREE totally.   Excellent conditions, great company, and an awesome lunch at Ono's.  My "blalah" plate of delicious kalua pork was so big, my wife and I had the leftover for dinner.  Yummy!

This is the only pic I took...the lineup.
Sean, didn't someone get a picture of your son Chis with his huge black rockfish?

Anonymous

[/quote] Sean, didn't someone get a picture of your son Chis with his huge black rockfish?[/quote]

I know Rik Hawthorn took a photo of Chris and his nice fish. Check the cobrakayakfishing.com site after he gets back.

It was great fishing with you guys, great water conditions, great fishing, outstanding fishing companions. Thanks for the hospitality guys. I look forward to that 9 or 10 hour drive to come up and see you again. You guys ought to think about a road trip to our neck of the woods and try out La Jolla for some Yellowtail. Let us know if you are up for it.

Ed Whited

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
You guys ought to think about a road trip to our neck of the woods and try out La Jolla for some Yellowtail. Let us know if you are up for it.
Ed, I've been wanting to do this.  When is the best time for yellowtail?

Thanks again to you, Ric, and the rest of the Team Cobra for making it a fun day at HMB!

Anonymous

I expect that withen the next week or two they start showing up in more numbers. Keep an eye on Bigwaters Edge, La Jolla Kayak fishing and the Plastic Navy web sites. You can get the links on the Cobra kayak fishing site. Eagleye (John Pawleck) and C-Level (Todd) are our best La Jolla guys.

Just let us know and we will feed you local info on how to get there, places to stay and eat, tackle etc.  Just come and fish when you can, You always have a shot at White Sea Bass, Yellowtail, Bonita, Barracuda and Calico Bass, just sometimes are better than others. Oh and yea, you can catch Ling Cod, Hailbut and Rockfish if you insist, but probably no Salmon.

Ed Whited

Anonymous

Corgratulations to Brian! Great job on the "mother of all lings".
And thanks to Bill and to all that showed up to "play". We gotta have more of these MBF tourneys!!!.....maybe even get Ono Hawaiian Grill involved...for some blahlah hook-ups!

Anonymous

that was me....joel da mooch...who posted above.

Grego

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Saw the pic on one of the local socal boards, just wanted to say...amazing catch....congrats!!!  Great job to you too Ed!

Grego